Sandy, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

how do you get back earnest money that you paid?

Asked by Sandy, Austin, TX Tue May 14, 2013

Answers

7
JOSEPH E JARUSINSKY JR’s answer
Sandy, I see you're asking multiple questions on here without enough detail to answer properly. It seems as you do not yet have a Realtor representing you, which you definitely should, so perhaps you can give me a call and I can get some more specifics and answer your questions properly. I will be available tomorrow, Wednesday from 10 AM on. If I do not pick up, please leave your name and number and a brief message and I will get back to you as soon as possible!

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Ranked #1 by Buyers and Sellers (JD Power & Assoc. 2012) Call 512-261-4415
Sandy,
You need to talk to a real estate lawyer to get an accurate answer. They know the law and will be able to tell you if this is plausible in your situation.
The answer to this question depends on many factors. I suggest consulting with your realtor on the specifics.
You need a Realtor representing you, obviously.
They don't cost you anything.
Jim and John are ready.
There is a TREC form for Terminating the agreement and Requesting Return of Earnest Money.

Unless you have done something to violate the agreement, most sellers will return the money.
If the deal is terminated and buyer is not in default, buyer and seller would complete a release of earnest money form and the title company or attorney would issue a check to the buyer. Your agent should walk you through this process.
your earnest money comes back to you at the closing table, to be used however you see fit. it can be used toward your downpayment, it can be used toward your escrow account, or if not needed, it's returned to you.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL