Home Buying in Newton Center>Question Details

Bria, Home Buyer in Newton Center, MA

how do real estate agents find the return on investment paying for subscriptions to trulia and/or zillow vs. traditional marketing ?

Asked by Bria, Newton Center, MA Thu Sep 13, 2012

Answers

5
Territory.com’s answer
I think the Q/A forums like this are great for lead generation because in a sense they are much like a buyer/agent interview process. Said client asks a question about a property or market or process of buying/selling and agent has an opportunity to answer and show their stuff/knoweldge. We have gotten quite a few clients off this forum because they have appreciated our honest tailored responses. Plus we have NOTHING to sell anyone therefore all of our answers are transparent and data driven which gets us great feedback.

I am unsure about advertising listings / ROI as we are an exclusive buyers agency with nothing to sell but my guess is the exposure to more buyers is positive (trulia ranks high on google).

People do tend to choose realtors based on friends / family suggestions and word of mouth. Buyer's should still beware and make sure they understand that - even if "referred" - in this business unfortunately not everyone's interests are aligned and 9 times out of 10 it is the buyer who ends up losing the most.

Interesting question and look forward to seeing other responses.
Web Reference: http://territory.com/
I am a buyer. However, I have been interested in the new avenue of lead gen that sites like Zillow and Trulia offer. Trulia in its IPO roadshow mentions that on average in high demand zip codes that its paying agents see a 10x ROI on their annual subscriptions (120 leads received per year x 2% conversion x $350K average home sale x 2% net commission fee). I just was curious how accurate this stat was relative to agents actual experience.

I found my broker through word of mouth referral from a co-worker and seemed to think most relatively established agents found most of their high probability of closing/intent to buy clients through word of mouth vs. online leads, but I could be totally wrong.

Just curious if agents are actually converting leads through these sites. It seems like buyers are using these sites + Redfin, MLS, etc. to research properties but are finding brokers through friends/family v. choosing one through these sites. Again, i could be completely off as my experience may be different from others.
Bria,

If you are an agent - there is Agent-to-Agent option for posting.
I doubt buyers or sellers care for our ROI.

The best way to see what's working and what's not is to try and track the results.
If something does not work, then re-group and try something else.
Each area is different too. I notice that there are mostly buyers, no sellers through
the channels you mentioned.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Hi Bria- I find all these methods are useful, but take time. So, like mentioned in the other post, I also look at the options on a anual basis and decide from there whether to continue the subscription or try something else.
Bria, as I can speak for myself, I usually look on the yearly investment no matter what portal or method it is. Looking on the return is very simple, think that you get one trunsaction out of it, that's already returns the yearly investment and more.