Home Buying in Grand Rapids>Question Details

traceystouch…, Home Buyer in Grand Rapids, MI

how do i found out what plots of land come with a property to purchase?

Asked by traceystouchofhealth, Grand Rapids, MI Tue Aug 27, 2013

I am looking at a house near a small lake. The sheet the realtor gave me said that it comes with three plots. The realtor didn't mention this to me. When I looked at a plat map two of the plots are lake access. The realtor said that it was a mistake. How do I find out for sure?

It is easy. You can get the information one of two ways. First, check and see if the township/city is online and if you can access property information. Most are online. The information sheet that the realtor gave you should have the owner's name, address and/or the parcel number. You can search for properties using those criteria.

Once you locate the property, check the legal description. If there are other parcels attached with this property, it will either show it in the legal description (i.e. parcel #1 etc) or it will list lot or plot numbers. Sometimes those property records are even connected to maps to show you exactly where the parcels are located.

Another option is to go down to the city/township or county offices and ask them to help you get information on the parcel. It may take a little time but you will probably get more information and you will know that you have the correct property. Just make sure to bring the listing sheet with you.

Good luck - and I hope it has lake access!
Thank you so much! You are a big help! The sheet the realtor gave me read that the "legal description" had the three parcels.....One being the parcel the house sat on and the other two lake access. So I don't know why he thinks it's a mistake....although he's not the listing agent. Who knows:) I will investigate! Thank you!
Flag Tue Aug 27, 2013