Home Buying in Salem>Question Details

Tom Montgome…, Home Buyer in Salem, OR

how do i find out who is a buying realtor?

Asked by Tom Montgomery, Salem, OR Thu Dec 10, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


Do you mean who is a real estate agent that represents buyers?

Most local real estate agents represent buyers or sellers. I do recommend that you pick an agent that doesn't represent both sides of the transaction though (meaning a buyer and seller at the same time).

I would find a real estate agent that you feel comfortable with their local knowledge, attitude, and professionalism. You can look on the Trulia "Find a Pro" directory and there a a lot of local Salem agents there. You can google "Salem Oregon real estate blogs" and read some local blogs by local agents to see if anyone is a good match for you.

The most important thing is to find an agent you feel good about. Home buying is really difficult these days due to lending conditions.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 10, 2009
This is a great question. Yes, Oregon is a Dual Agency State. When you purchase a home you could buy it from the listing Broker. Ask yourself a question... What is the benefit to me the buyer? Is there a benefit? When the Broker represents both sides who is the benefactor of the transaction? You know the answers to these easy questions... Evaluate and find the Broker you want to work with that will put YOU FIRST! Happy house hunting! Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.buysellsalem.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
Have them get Pre-Approved before wasting time with them.........
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 21, 2009
How do we find out what you want to know?

Let's try this. Oregon allows agents to work with buyers when they buy, and with sellers when they sell. So an agent can help you buy, and me sell.

There are probably a few agents who work only with buyers and never with sellers, I think that unless you've been on the other side, there's a lot you don't know about the process.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 21, 2009
Tom, I am in agreement with the first two brokers who responded to your question. Oregon is a dual-agency state, meaning brokers are allowed to work with both buyers and sellers on the same transaction. It is possible to represent both buyer and seller equally in a transaction, although doing that type of transaction takes experience and honesty -- so I would not recommend dual-agency with a rookie broker. My advice would be the same as Melina's and Susan's below: interview a few experienced, full-time brokers with knowledge of the area you are wishing to purchase (I wouldn't suggest using a Portland Realtor for a Salem purchase, for example), and be loyal to that broker. Calling multiple listing brokers on every interesting house is like opening a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get. I am also, somewhat in agreement with the answer below about advanced accreditations. However, although I have additional accrediation myself, just because a broker has a fancy acronym next to their name does not make them a good broker. Look at the Realtor's references from real buyers/sellers. Experience, honesty and true customer service are the cornerstones to a good Realtor. Good brokers who feel their clients are loyal will beat down doors to find the perfect home for their clients. I truly hope you find a good broker who helps you purchase your next home. Merry Christmas, Tom! :-)
Web Reference: http://www.sellingsalem.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 21, 2009
Hi Tom,

If you're interested in finding an agent who has special training in representing buyers, you would want to talk to a REALTOR who is a member of REBAC (the Real Estate Buyer's Agent Council). Members have additional training and experience in representing buyers beyond that possessed by most other real estate brokers.

REBAC Members may be recognized by the ABR (Accredited Buyer Representative) designation following their names. You can find a complete list of REBAC members who represent buyers in the Salem area at the following web page: http://www.rebac.net/MembershipDirectorySearch.aspx

If this doesn't specifically answer your question, please feel free to add more detail by re-posting on this forum, or you can go to my profile for details about how to contact me directly.

Good Luck!
Web Reference: http://www.bybryson.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 10, 2009
Any agent can be a buyers agent for you - you can question realtors to see which one might be the best fit for you and I have seen in other answers that an agent for the seller should not be your agent...I dont think that is a problem if the agent is working for both. I have been a realtor for almost 21 yrs, did escrows and loans for about 10 yrs prior to that and have not had any problem representing both. YOU alone can decide what works best for you. Best luck in your endeavors...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 10, 2009
Most Realtors these days are both Buyer and Listing Agents. It is best to ask your Realtor how many homes they have sold to Buyers to get an idea of how experienced they are working with Buyers. In choosing a Realtor it is also important to ask them some important questions such as how long have they been in the business, are they full-time, how experienced are they with foreclosed listings (if that is what you are looking for).and how long have they lived in the area. For more information to help Buyers, go to the resource section on my website http://www.susanhowardsells.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 10, 2009
Hi Tom,

Yes, Oregon is a Dual Agency state meaning that as an agent I work with buyers and sellers. It is often not in your best interest to work with an agent who represents both the buyer and seller in the same transaction or on the same property. The easiest way to find an agent is to interview a few, check out their web pages. You need to feel you have the best of faith in your agent and that they listen and understand your needs and wants in housing choices. I would be happy for you to contact me. Karen Morrison,Legacy Real Estate, karenm@legacyre.com or 503-930-4030
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 17, 2013

I would agree with Melina's answer, first one in this string.

You want to work with someone you trust and feel comfortable with. Checking references are also a good step in making sure the realtor is experienced and cna help advise you in the areas you have the most concerns, whether that be good local lenders, where to find a specific kind of home, etc.

The best thing about using a buyers agent/realtor is that you don't pay them a cent, unless you are looking for a distressed home (short sale of bank owned (REO) property) and the seller is offering a lower than average commission to the selling office and the selling office requests the buyer to pay the difference as determined in a buyers agreement.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 26, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer