Home Buying in Sacramento>Question Details

jillianperin…, Home Owner in Sacramento, CA

how do i find out if the home I purchased has a permit for the addition done in 1973?

Asked by jillianperinati, Sacramento, CA Sat Feb 15, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:


Building permits prior to 1982 can be searched on the City's Online Record Library at http://www.records.cityofsacramento.org. Or you can call the Community Development Department (CDD) at (916) 264-5011. If you find that there are no permits listed then it doesn't mean the prior owner didn't pull a permit. For example, they could have gone through the permit process but never performed a final inspection (it probably would be listed as "expired"). Also, keep in mind that building codes have changed quite a bit since 1973! Good luck in your search!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Hello, If you would like me to research the permit history on the home for you, I would be glad to help free of charge. Please give me a ring. Chris 916 749-5505
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Check with the County Assessor's office they have all the home records, or go to the City building permit department. They are the ones that issue permits.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
The best way is to go to the county building dept in person if at all possible. The older the construction the more research it may require. Some records may not transfer with technology.

Hope that helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
If the owner (previous) did not turn it over to you prior to the sale, it SHOULD be on file with the planning board or county where you property is located. I hope this helps! Have a great day.

Leisa Wells
(Owner-River Valley Property Management) DRE: 01250612) (916) 995-8027
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Did you receive any disclosures about the addition when you bought the house?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
You can submit a request to the City or County building department for the permit file. The building department may now be called Community Development Department. I have found the on line file is not always the easiest way to get complete file depending on their software.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Go to your local building department (some even allow you to look it up online) & ask to see the property's history.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Very simple, you should go to City Hall's building dept and for a small fee you can give them the address of the property and ask for all permits. You will be given everything from the time the home was built.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 19, 2014
Your real rstate agent should assist you with this concern.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 19, 2014
You will want to look at the appraisal that was done. It will say if it is permitted or not.

Just email me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
NMLS #1056079

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 17, 2014
Hi Jill:

The link is : https://apsonline.saccounty.net/CitizenAccess/

The concern, is why are you checking now, after the property has been purchased.

These are all verifications that should have been done prior to Close of Escrow.
Hopefully, you are in the middle of a contract and not "closed".

Hopefully, there are no issues.

Good luck


0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 17, 2014
The first, and easiest, way to check for this is not going to the county and pulling permits, but seeing if the square footage of the house matches the square footage on record.

Since you already purchased the house I assume you have an appraisal. The appraiser would have measured the house and given square footage. He/she would have also most likely noted if the square footage as measured was different than the square footage on public record, possibly even noting the addition and if it was permitted.

If it matches, or at least is within a few square feet, odds are all the area of the home was permitted.
If not THEN you may want to look further. As outlined by many of the real estate professionals below.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 17, 2014
Local County Building and Permit Departments are going to be the best source for any type of residential permit records. As you can read below some older records have been destroyed. The county usually can inspect the additional space with x-ray type machines to determine if the area was completed to code with little to no damage to the space itself. Weather there is a fee for the service and or if a fee will be assessed on the findings will be determined by the County.
Hope this helps if you would like to provide more detail on what you are wanting to accomplish let me know.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 17, 2014
Please be aware that Sacramento county has had multiple fires and floods that have destroyed records related to some of the building permits. Therefore, if you can get something from the seller, that is ideal. If not, good luck that the county still has the records on file. Just because it's not there does not mean it wasn't done with a permit. That's why I suggest you go down and talk to someone at the desk. They can explain how else you might be able to get the answers you need. It might mean paying for an inspection, if you want it sanctioned despite not finding the actual permit.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 17, 2014
Check with the city or county depending which you are in for building permits. You may be able to go online and find it or call them directly and they may be of help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Many good answers but you can research your information on line or at the county bldg. dept. You'll need your Assessors Parcel Number (APN) to do so.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 16, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer