Emily Lam, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

how do i change the oil heat to natural gas heat system? how much does it costs to do so?

Asked by Emily Lam, Brooklyn, NY Sun Dec 4, 2011

i am in the process of looking and buying a house. the house i am interesting in that has the oil heat system and gas for hot water. i want to know how much it cost to convert the oil heat system to gas same as hot water. the oil tank is on the side but inside the house. which system are more cleaner, and better in term of financial and uses? should i buy this house with one condition the seller has to convert the oil to gas heat system?

Answers

9
Hi Wendy,

Converting to gas heat is a great idea, both from the point of view of the environment and your heating bills. I don't think you should expect the seller to do it, but you should negotiate the price taking into account that you will need to spend X thousand dollars on the conversion and remediation (removing old oil tank and any clean-up necessary). You should talk to National Grid (the gas company in Brooklyn) for info about rebates, cost, and tax advantages: https://www.powerofaction.com/gcnationalgridincentiveofferme…

4 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
You will need to get a licensed heating and air company to give you a quote.

Have a great day;

Christina Solorzano;
CEO & SR Credit & Mortgage Consultant of
Everlasting Credit
Ex-Mortgage Broker of more than 10 years
http://www.everlastingcredit.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 16, 2013
I did mine a while ago - there were rebates then. Look into that - cost me appx $5-7k.

Jack Menashe
917.797.0215
http://www.SHERestates.com

PS; aslo try service magic - I think that's the site that gives contractors & estimates.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Call the gas company for advice. Most homeowners selling their home at the present time are not budgeting to convert their home from oil to gas because it is costly.
I wouldn't imagine that it would cost very much to do something like this. I've been to a few houses that did similar things, and it honestly wasn't that difficult for them to change. I'm sure they'll only charge you for the materials that they end up using. Which in all honesty isn't that bad.

http://www.brachsautocenter.com/services.html
both of my friends just got the oil converted to gas it cost the one 1,800 and the other paid 2,000 i dont know who would spend 7,000 when gas furnace is much cheaper..
do you know who your friends used for such a cheap price??
Flag Tue Jun 11, 2013
Dear Wendy:

The decision is a matter of personal preference. As long as the heating system is working, it is doubtful that the seller would want to give you any consideration. The conversion usually would cost about $7,000.00 (speak to a licensed plumber for a more precise estimate). Make sure you also remove the old oil tank, some people leave it to save money, but it is an eye sore and a waste of space once you convert, just remove it.

You should take this into consideration when you are determining the amount you want to offer for the house but don't try to force the seller to fix it. You would just be complicating the negotiations and if the homeowners feel there is nothing wrong with the heating system you may just upset them.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
do you thing most home sellers would be willing to drop the price on a home due to the need to update the heating source.
Flag Mon May 20, 2013
Contact a plumber that installs gas heating systems there are lots of these companies out there. They will give you an estimate. Gas is a lot cleaner & at this point cheaper. You could put this condition in your contract but it is unlikely that the seller will do the conversion.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011
Contact National Grid for any necessary information and costs involved...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 4, 2011