Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Syed, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

how do I know the relator or real estate agent is best suited to me?

Asked by Syed, Houston, TX Fri Sep 6, 2013

If they understand/meet your needs and give you the attention you desire. Like any relationship, go by how you feel...

Syed ...

It's apparent that you have many questions ... and a well-informed buyer is always easier for Realtors to work with. But there is no substitute for face-to-face contact. Specifically, what are your needs and wants? You seem to be concerned about financing as much as, or more than, the actual purchase. In that case, you need to speak with several lenders as well. Best of luck.
Relationships are all about caring and sharing. If you agent first listens, ask lots of questions and is putting you first, those are the keys to building trust. I always remind my clients that sometimes the marriage just wont work, takes 2 to tango. This business is all about people.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
Interview them...see how you feel and gauge their ability to help you with your needs...then once you find them swear your undying loyalty to them and set them loose for you!!!

Saul Carrillo
832-527-2268 saul.carrillo@carringtonres.com
3333 Alabama, Suite 125
Houston, Tx 77098
License No. 0573768 Atlantic & Pacific Real Estate (US), LLC
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 8, 2013
Hello Syed,

You will know when you find an agent that you feel connected with. Please call or email us to see who you feel most comfortable with.

Ideally you should have a meeting with an agent to talk about your needs and what you are expecting so both you and agent know how to work with each other. As has been pointed out, when you have representation as a buyer, it costs you nothing, but you get the benefit of the agent's knowledge and experience because they work to get what is best for you.

I see that you had several posts trying to figure out what options you have. If you are not working with an agent, but still looking for one, I am available.

The best way to reach me is at the contact information below.

REALM Real Estate Professionals
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
I believe it's all about Chemistry. Much like dating. When I meet a client for the first time I can tell if we click or not. I will usually take a buyer out once before asking them to sign a buyer's rep agreement. If the showings are successful and we have developed a good relationship then we go from there. You can also check the realtor's website on HAR and look at their client ratings. Hopefully they have them posted.

If I can be of help, my information is below:

Rosemarie Furnari
Realty Associates
This is a wonderful article (Link to article at bottom) that gives you a great deal of information.

Here are the questions that you should ask:

1. Is this your full-time gig? How many clients have you served this year?

An active agent is more likely to be up-to-date on the market and the law.

2. How many sales have you handled in my target neighborhoods?

You want someone who knows the local market, with a few recent deals in your target neighborhoods.

3. When clients are unhappy with your service, what has gone wrong?

Asking why a client has been a bad fit for an agent can help you figure out if you’re a good fit.

4. Has a client ever filed a complaint against you?

If you’re uncomfortable asking, just check with the state licensing board.

5. What’s your fee?

The seller pays the buyer’s agent using the money you pay for the house, typically 3% of the sales price. Some buyer’s agents refund part of this fee.

6. What services do you offer beyond negotiations and escrow?

Make a list of what you’ll be paying for. Negotiations, paperwork and contingencies are the minimum.

7. When am I committed to working with you?

Many consumers start touring homes without realizing this can obligate them to work with the agent, contract or no contract.

8. How many foreclosure or short-sale transactions have you handled?

Distressed properties can be great deals, but the paperwork is complicated, and your liability is greater. The best agents have experience closing deals with banks.

9. Who else will be working with me?

An agent is often supported by a team. But the person you hire should do most of the work.

10. Will you show me all the properties for sale?

Good agents show all properties, even for-sale-by-owner properties that don’t pay a commission.

11. How quickly can you get me into a home?

Hot homes move fast. Ask how the agent handles tours on short notice.

12. Do you represent buyers and sellers on the same house?

No agent can fairly represent both. You need someone on your side.

13. What sets you apart from other agents?

Look for expertise, not just eagerness. You aren’t hiring the neighborhood kid to rake your leaves.

14. What if I’m unhappy with your service?

Agents get paid when you buy a house. But most customer complaints occur during the closing process. Ask for a guarantee.

15. Can I get references for your last five deals?

Every agent has clients he served well. But the best agents serve nearly all of their clients well. Getting an agent’s last five clients will give you a more balanced picture of his service than letting him choose his most favorable references. Call at least two of the five, asking clients some of the same questions you asked him. Look closely at these last five deals to see how they compare to similar sales in the neighborhood. Did he negotiate a good price for each customer?

Source: http://goo.gl/J741qD

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me at 713-397-5891!

Matthew Klovenski
Champions Real Estate Group

You always want a Realtor that can prove he/she is experienced, has worked in the area you want to look in and can explain how the process works. Likely a full time Realtor!

In addition, you and your Realtors personalities, communication methods and availability should match. Interview at a minimum 3 Realtors and have a list of questions ready to go. Remember to ask how they get paid for their services and ask if they have additional designations like the ABR specially designed for "buyers agents".

We represent buyers all over the Houston area. Let us know if we can assist you. Check us out here on Trulia as well as other web sites such as HAR.com

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.

My name is Ron Aga and I have been working in the Houston and Surrounding areas for the last 23 years and have a pretty good knowledge of the market trends and also the areas you can build your home on. The Builders DO NOT finance homes but most of them work with Mortgage Companies that will finance the hom=e during the home building process.

Please give me a call on my Cell 832 423-6973 and I can give you more details on how this process works.

My email is Ronrealtor1@gmail.com if you want to email me.
Always make sure you don't feel pressured to work with an agent. It is always good to do your own due diligence when selecting someone that best matches your needs. If you are tech savvy, you want an agent who has a strong web presence and who is able to provide you information via different means.
First do some homework, Google them, check their ratings on HAR.com and then give them a call and Interview them. Ask them questions like how fast do you respond, do you work weekends and late nights, etc....