Home Buying in Plymouth>Question Details

Rebaann2009, Home Buyer in Plymouth, MN

how do I get a house on very cheap rent ??? In Plymouth, MN

Asked by Rebaann2009, Plymouth, MN Fri Jul 9, 2010

Joe Houghton’s answer
craigslist is a good source for searching rentals. I would also recommend utilizing social media marketing, sites like facebook, twitter, linkedin etc. Network and talk with property managers and realtors.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 26, 2010
if you qualify, apply for Section 8 housing help in Hennepin county office. They will base your rent based on your family income and # of family members in your household who will live with you.
You have several options. Craigslist is a good start. Your classified ads will also be another great resource. I would also contact a few property management companies to find the local rental rates to ensure that you're getting a good deal when you find one.
Plymouth, MN is a very sought after city to live in, allowing home owners to ask for premium rents and still have plenty of showings and applicants to choose from. I have seen roommate situations on Craigslist which would allow for more affordable rents, but you would be sharing a home with another person or family. If you are looking for more affordable areas, try checking west of the cities, west on Highway 55 or Highway 12. Once you get outside the metro area the rents start to become more affordable.
Use the internet to search for rentals. Trulia has them listed and also check Craigs list. Rents are increasing so when a good deal comes up - you better jump. Also see who is handling rentals in the area your interested in. They might know of properties that will be coming on the market and can give you advance information before they become available for the public.
Look in areas that have cheaper rent. If you go outside the inner ring suburbs you may have better luck. I know that I have seen houses for rent in Zimmerman for $700-$800. Good luck.
Just keep looking. And make offers. Yes, you can negotiate on rent, just like you can negotiate on purchases.

Look for vacant properties--ones that the owners have been unable to rent or unable to sell. A little bit of money coming in from rent is better than no money coming in.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA