Home Buying in Northwest>Question Details

Lf Morris, Home Owner in Reston, VA

how can i find the flood certificates for virginia beach townhomes?

Asked by Lf Morris, Reston, VA Fri Sep 25, 2009

Is there an online source available to find out if a house is in a flood prone area? Does Virginia Beach county have anything online to determine if a property is located in a flood zone?

Help the community by answering this question:


If you are computer friendly as most people are these days, the city of Virginia Beach has a website with interactive e-mapping where you can look up what flood zone you are in.


Follow the link and then just follow the instructions provided. Most importantly when entering an address don't use the address suffix, such as St., Dr., Rd., etc. You get the idea! After you enter the address and get to the next scree, just click "zoom to" where you see the address you wanted. When you get to the last screen showing a map of your address, on the right side of the screen, it will say what flood plain you are in if any.

Good luck! It's not hard, but if you are not computer friendly, just use Clint's suggestion.

Ed Graybill,
Wainwright Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 26, 2009
April is right. Once you check the house for the flood zone you can call any insurance company to determine if flood insurance is actually required or not. There are many properties in Hampton Roads located adjacent to water that do not require flood insurance.

Let me me know if I may be of assistance to you.

Nelene Gibbs, Relator, e-Pro
William E. Wood & Associates
757 672-3232
mail to: nelene@homesbynelene.com
Web Reference: http://www.nelenegibbs.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 26, 2009
Thanks to all of you ...Ed, I did use the link you provided and it is spot on! I appreciate all the responses as I try to do a little house-hunting before I return to VA in the early 2010.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 26, 2009
Mr. Johnson gave you very good information. That is a great place to start, however, if you are looking for the flood certificate, well the only folks that might have that is the current owner or the current owners insurance company or the company that issued the certificate.
More than likley, once you have seen the flood maps you can call any insurance company and get a pretty good idea of the cost of insurance. Do not be alarmed if the property you are intersted is in a flood zone. So much or our area is. I hope this information was helpful to you. Have a great day!
Web Reference: http://www.MyNavyHome.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 26, 2009
Locate the "e-mapping" section of VBgov.com. You can look up properties by the address, then switch the display to flood zone.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 26, 2009
You bet. Just contact Rebecca Lears of the city of Virginia Beach, 757-385-1948. She can tell you if you are in a flood plane. If you have any other questions regarding Virginia Beach real estate, just give me a call.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 26, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer