Home Buying in Newport News>Question Details

Ac, Other/Just Looking in Arizona

how can i find out who is the owner of a home in newport news, va?

Asked by Ac, Arizona Tue Sep 11, 2007

I have an address of a home that I would like to know the property value of.

Answers

7
Tax assesments are public knowledge and can be accessed on the City of Newport News website. YOu can also find out who the current owner is as well.
This is a 3 step process.
1) go there.
2) knock on the door.
3) ask them
If you check the public, city records, there is a good chance that you will find what you are looking for.
While this won't help you with the value, it is what you asked for. Provide the address and I can provide an actual valuation for you.
You can check the property's assessed value - it's public record. But the tax assessment is more than likely not the current market value of the property. For example, properties here in Northern Virginia are currently selling for/worth 5 to 15 percent less than their 2007 assessed value.

I recommend getting a CMA from 2 to 3 experienced and reputable agents in the area that the home is located in. If the home is not for sale (and not your house), they won't be able to see the inside of the house to get an accurate account of the property, but they can at least give you a ballpark figure of the value. If the home is for sale or they can get inside, then an accurate CMA won't be a problem.
Web Reference: http://www.loudounstats.com
Knowing who the owner is, won't give you the property value. You can find out the owners' information via the tax records, like Rosalind said. You may also find out the price that owner paid, and how much of a mortgage they have. You can find out what the house is assessed at, but that still won't give you the value. If you can find out property details, a local agent can run a CMA for you to give you a ballpark idea, but that will be just that--an estimated value. To fully understand the value, the agent would have to get into the house to see it firsthand.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
It's public record, but not easy to come by. If you would like to send me an email with the address I can look it up. rosalind@vapeninsulahomes.com

Rosalind