Home Buying in 46218>Question Details

Tim Woolery, Home Buyer in Indianapolis, IN

how can a person find out about a empty house with no sign neighbors do not know who it belongs to. empty

Asked by Tim Woolery, Indianapolis, IN Wed Aug 29, 2007

Help the community by answering this question:


I'm jumping on the - check with the local tax assessors office - bandwagon. However, you need to read on - because that's just the HOW - TO portion of this posters answer.

Are you interested because you want to purchase? Are you interested because you want to rent? What is your motivation - and what will you do with the information once you get it?

The reason I'm asking this question is simple - if you want to purchase or rent - I recommend contacting an agent to represent you.

For one; this gives you credibility with the owner, and two, the agent will be able to assess the actual market value of the home.

In other words - you aren't flying blind.

Otherwise; you could kill the deal before you step up to the gate, and/or worse yet, you could end up paying way more than market value.

Lots of luck and hope you give us an update! I love the start to finish information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 30, 2007
If you're working with a Realtor, he/she can provide data. Or, you can search the tax records.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2007
Herman Chang, Real Estate Pro in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
A Realtor can access the tax records by doing an address search on the MLS. Even if it was never sold through the MLS, there is a section that allows a search of tax records for all existing addresses.

You may also be able to do it yourself by going to your county's tax assessor website. In Chicago, there is a section on the Cook County assessor's website to do a PIN search by address. Once you get the PIN, you can input it to pull the tax records.

Perhaps your county has the same feature?

Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 29, 2007
Patti Pereyra, Real Estate Pro in Chicago, IL
Tax records first. Then Google the buyer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 14, 2007
First I would say to have a Real Estate agent to represent you. Then I would have that agent pull up tax records for the home. If the owner can not be found there. I know that Carpenter Realtors has a tool they can use called a Archive Search. This will show all the activity on the certain home. If that doesn't work, I would contact the tax assessors office. They will be able to help you there. Good Luck!
Kathy Paro
Carpenter Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 14, 2007
go online and look for the local assessors office........for you it will be the County, not Parish. Once you get on the assessors website in your County, you can probably get the information on the property right there!
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 30, 2007

Employ a top producing agent, they will find the price from the Tax records run Comparative Market Analysis for re-sale and point you in the right direction for re-hab costs. You need to know all these if you are to make a good purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.teamrenton.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 30, 2007
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer