Home Buying in 75077>Question Details

Buyer Moving, Home Buyer in 75077

how can I terminate a buyer's representative agreement?

Asked by Buyer Moving, 75077 Tue Jun 7, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Gerard Carney’s answer
Well first you can only do so before you had him or her make an offer that put you into contract, they will get paid for their service if the contract closes. As for no Contract and no offers made, just tell them you do not want them as your Realtor and be done with it
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 8, 2011
In Arizona, you are not in contract with a buyer's agent unless there exists an open offer on a home. The agent may have you sign an agency agreement but this does not bind you to them. The agency agreement announces the broker behind the agent and warrants the agent has a duty to keep your details confidential. Here, if there are no open offers, and you are done doing business with an agent, you may simply walk away.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 7, 2011
Just give written notice of termination to the agent/broker. In Texas, either party may cancel this type of "service" agreement.
Web Reference: http://www.phgbrokers.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 7, 2011
If your unhappy with your agent you may send a letter to them and to his or her broker. However if you have a home that your agent showed you that your interested in that agent may be entitled to a commission if decided to buy that home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 7, 2011
The first thing I would advise you to do is to carefully read the buyer's agreement that you have signed to see what the terms are for terminating the agreement. Generally speaking you would need to tell the agent that you are no longer interested in working with them and that you would like to terminate the agreement. You will most likely have to sign some sort of realease of the agreement and generally the agent and the agent's broker will also have to sign the agreement. If you purchase a property that the agent showed you, there is the possibility that you will still have to pay the buyer's agent's fee. You also might want to contact an attorney in your area to advise you on your legal obligation regarding the buyer's representative agreement.

That being said I really encourage you to talk with your agent about why you want to terminate the agreement. If he/she is not meeting your needs a good discussion with them may be all it takes to get the agent to do what you need them to do to help you to find a home. Your agent may not even realize that he/she is not meeting your needs. Good Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 7, 2011
It is based on terms of the executed agreement no professional can render an opinion UNLESS entire document is reviewed.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 7, 2011
Sorry you are having a problem.
I would go to the agent and ask them to cancel.
Tell them the reasons why.
If you are not comfortable doing this go to the office manager or broker.

Why are you trying to terminate?

If fit is bad, just tell them.
Maybe broker can get you a better agent.

Bruce Lynn
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 7, 2011
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Your agreement will technically be with th broker, so if the current agent is not working out, you may want to see if the is another agent in the office that you can work with.

As long as you have not seen any homes that you a interested in, then a simple letter to the broker should be sufficient to terminate the agreement.

If you have seen a house with the agent andw may be interested in putting an offer in on it, then you will need to talk to the broker because technically any house that the agent introduced you to will entitle them to commission if you decide to buy it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 7, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer