Maxine, Home Buyer in Portsmouth, VA

how can I have my my name put on the deed for the property?

Asked by Maxine, Portsmouth, VA Tue Nov 30, 2010

Owners of my house are deceased they have no decendants and I have been paying for taxes and repairs on the house for over 10 years. I would like to make major changes to the property but my name needs to be on the deed. How can I have my name put on the deed for the property?

Help the community by answering this question:


At this time, it's best to consult with an attorney--he/she will be your best source of information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 30, 2010
To ensure a legal change to the property title, get a real estate attorney.They will prepare and file the real estate transfer deed. Be prepared to provide basic information about both the property in question and the individuals who need to be listed on the title.

If you can't hire a lawyer, you just have to obtain a certified copy of the existing deed from the county clerk or recorder's office and review the following information contained therein: names of owners, legal description, address, and tax assessment number. Then, fill-in-the-blanks deed forms are usually available from online sources, a local office supply store or the county clerk's office.

In the document, the person transferring interest in the property is the grantor; the person receiving the interest is the grantee. Prepare the form by filling in the appropriate information, but don't sign it yet.

Lastly, go to the county recorder's office with the unsigned document and the identification documents of the parties involved in the change or transfer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 12, 2014
Do a search to find out who the legal owner is. there may be paperwork out there that you do not know about.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 12, 2014
You need to contact a real estate attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 22, 2014
You need to definitely discussed this matter with the real estate attorney. Call me at (347)219-2037 if you need one I can recommend it to you. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 3, 2010
Hi Maxine
Let's make it a unanimous 4 for 4-----you must hire an attorney, preferably a real estate attorney who will let you know if there even is a way for you to directly obtain ownership of the property. You cannot just have your name put on the deed. The property does not belong to you even if you have been paying the taxes and making repairs on the house.
Good Luck!
Allen Bauman
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 30, 2010
did the owners have a will? You definitely need to see an attorney who specializes in estate issues.

Good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 30, 2010
you have to work with a real estate attorney to handle this, since it involves the probate court.
if the property is in new york, i can have my real estate attorney take care of this. you can
call and discuss with me . my ph# 718-406-5005..................singh
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 30, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer