Andy Lepage, Home Buyer in Harbor Villas Condo,...

how can I find out sinkhole possibility for a specific property in new port richey mls 7489907?

Asked by Andy Lepage, Harbor Villas Condo, New Port Richey, FL Mon Feb 28, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Andy:

To find out if there is a sinkhole claim, you can search both the Pasco County Appraisers site and look to see if there commercial codes in the section "Additional Land Codes".

Also look at the permitting site for the county: Public Access to Permits: and search for permits for the specific address. Most, but not all, sinkhole claims will show up in one of these sites. A good buyers agent should be able to tell you this information.

If you need more information, or representation, you can contact me or call the county building department.
6 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 28, 2011

Looks like Lawrence Scaduto knocked the answer right out of the park so to speak, the only thing I will add here is for properties in Hernando County you can also check the Hernando Property Appraiser website at County website at… and the Hernando County building department at You need a parcel id to search building permits which you can obtain by doing a search on address at the Hernando Property Appraiser link above.

If you want to spend more time in your research, you might find the State of Florida Department of Environmental Protection and their Florida Geological Survey Data and Maps You can download a Subsidence Incident Report at both in datat base spreadsheet and map overlays for Google Earth.

Please visit our website at to search for homes and use other resources that we have made available to our customers. You can also sign up for a free ListingBook account to search the MLS just like a Realtor, just look for the FREE ListingBook tab at HomeNet’s website. Our team looks forward to assisting you in finding a great home at a great value.


Fred Strickroot, Realtor®, MBA, CDPE
Florida Lic. Real Estate Brokerage
2154 Seven Springs Blvd, Suite 103
Trinity, FL 34655
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 24, 2012
I don't know how to send a "thank you" on this program, so I'm doing it via the answer column. Michele and Larry, Thank you. Your info is helpful and I appreciate it. Also, I now have know of 2 good people to do business with in the future. Appreciatively, Andy LePage
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for the nice words Andy. It's nice to recognized.

FYI, I am also a full time residential property manager if you know of anyone who needs a rental property professionally managed. Best of luck with your purchase and please let me know if I can help you in the future.

Larry Scaduto 727 809-2255
Flag Mon Jun 25, 2012
Andy I wanted to let you know the Pasco permitting website Larry provided to you only works by NOT adding any Drive, Street or Circle to the address field. I tried it and yes you will see all the permits listed on that property.

Great website provided Larry!

Michele Sims
Shore Mortgage
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 28, 2011
Try to see reported sinkholes for the area surrounding your specific property. You can also specify date of sinkhole occurrence and the distance range from your address. Clicking on a sinkhole icon will give you the specific details for that occurrence. You can also use this site to find if there are any nuclear reactors close by.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 7, 2014
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun May 5, 2013
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 24, 2012
Any home in Florida can be a Sink Hole potential. If you have a home you like ask the Realtor to ask the owner outright if the home has ever had a question of being a sink hole, did they ever have tests done and if so they need to give you a copy from the company that did the test! If they had a sink hole and they dis not disclose and then sold you the property after you asked if they had a sink hole or tested for such and they said no you have possible legal action against them
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 17, 2011
Here is another way to check for soil subsidence in Pasco County. Go to the Property Appraisers website --> and click on Records Search (left side of page). Then enter the property information. The property information will then open, look under Additional Land Information. If you are searching residential property look for a commercial code field. If the code in the field starts with SB then there have been permits pulled to investigate or repair soil subsidence. For example SBUNK08 would indicate some type of soil subsidence permitting in or before 2008; however, they do not know the outcome of the permit action.

Note: For commercial property look for a residential field the code will be there.

For additional checking go to -->… On the right side of the page click on Public Access To Permit Application. Click on Reports, then Sink Hole Permits Report. Enter the information and search. Any permits filed with the county will be listed.

Caution: Read over the input screen carefully, there are several options and a date range to be checked.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 17, 2011
Hi Andy you should get an environment and soil expert for this. It may not show up in property disclosures and surveys.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 5, 2011
If you're just looking up one property the easiest way is to call Pasco County and ask for central permitting. Have the address and Tax ID number ready when they answer. If you need multiple property information the previous responses below are good advice.

Blake Smereczynsky
Bullard Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 1, 2011
On the appraiser site...
There is a welcome screen. From there go to information. (second from the bottom).
From there click Subsidence Listing. (third from the bottom).
Here you will see around 6000 homes that are currently considered "sink hole homes"...or at least ones the county knows about and has some records.
The come in the several types. And now they have a number at the end like 09 which means 2009.
You need to be very careful when you are looking at the type of coding on a particular house. Just because it was permitted, it does not mean it was repaired. Unless it says SBUNK which means UNREPAIRED. You will have to do more research. Usually, but not always, you can do a title search and actually read the sink hole report to further determine what is going on.
As I mentioned these are the ones the county knows about. Anything that may have been discovered prior to 2004 may not be in the public record.
One way to determine if there has been previous sinkhole activity at a given home is to ask the neighbors. They seem to know. You wont have any documentation, but the rumor of a particular houses past can be a value diminisher.

Good luck and be careful
Randy Jenkins
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 1, 2011
Andy you might also look at the recent assessed value of this property on the Pasco tax search website to see if their is a reduce property value assessment. Owners for instance who had Chinese Drywall received a reduced assessment for property taxes. I always double check property taxes listed on mls listings to quote payments.

If you need help investigating this don't hesitate to call me along with getting preapproved to purchase this home.

Michele Sims
Shore Mortgage
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 28, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer