Sandys5324, Home Buyer in New London, WI

how can I be sure the home inspector actually doing his job and not just marking everything ok.?

Asked by Sandys5324, New London, WI Mon Apr 14, 2014

I know people who hired a home inspector and he said everything was ok, but it wasn't and most should have been noted by him. How can a buyer be sure they are getting what the inspector says? No suing after the fact is not a solution, it costs far too much in time and money, even when you win.

Answers

2
Another reason why it's so important to have a realtor whether as a buyer or seller! Your realtor is experienced with working regularly with inspectors, and most inspectors, like any other business, need to provide the best service to get referrals! Your agent will also be able to explain the reports, help you negotiate any unexpected issues that arise on a report, and make suggestions for further inspections if necessary. The seller is paying for your realtor, so make as much use of the opportunity! Many people feel they don't want the pressure of a realtor, and so try and do everything on their own until ready to make an offer. I suggest that you interview more agents and find someone willing to work at your speed, and develop a relationship so you feel you can trust their opinion.
Sandy,
The only way you can know for sure is to get an inspector that has come highly recommended. I've been on hundreds of inspections and most inspectors certified by ASHI will have had training and certifications to at least be called inspectors. After that though, I've seen a range of people with varying knowledge, skills and experience. The inspector I suggest I've been using for over 13 years. They know what they know and they know their limitations and will call for further technical inspections when required. A home inspector is a Generalist, not an expert in every single facet of a home.
You can review some sample reports to see how easy and clear they are as well as how comprehensive. You can ask what technology they use, my favorite inspector uses infrared scanning cameras to literally see through walls, detecting temperature variances. This has caught leaks and issues that other inspectors would have missed.
Ask your agent for two or three suggested inspectors and check out their websites.