Dilza Chang, Real Estate Pro in Woodside, Queens, NY

how buyer presents a counter offer to seller?

Asked by Dilza Chang, Woodside, Queens, NY Sun Jan 30, 2011

Answers

6
You can do it in writing or verbally. It is usually via your agent.
Hi Dilza!

First - Congratulations on finding a home you even want to put an offer in!

I am amazed that your training with your company did not make sure you understand this. Your Broker should help you with this.

Having said that, let's take a look at your question. This is the "Functional" answer as opposed to a "Stragety" answer.

First: make sure your "counter offer" is in writing with buyers signatures.

Give this to the Sellers agent and tell them you want to be present when they present the counter offer to the seller.

1. Depends on who YOU are representing contractually.

a. Buyers Agents have the right to be Present when the offer is being given to the seller, however, a Buyers Agent does NOT have the right to speak unless the Seller instruct their sellers agents otherwise.

b. If you are NOT a buyers agent then you most likely are a seller agent which allows you to make the presentation of the counter offer to the seller with the seller's agent present.

The seller has the right to review the counter offer within the time stated.

The seller's agent should communicate in writing to you the sellers response, which is:
accept
reject
counter

This is the "Ideal" way and in fact the preferable way.

Many agents communicate back and forth by the phone and or email until both parties come to a verbal agreement and then it is put into writing and signed by both parties.

By NOT being present when the offer is presented to the seller you cannot confirm that it was even presented. Unfortunately, the sellers themselves can instruct their sellers agent that they are not allowing agents to be present at the presentation of the offer.

Please talk with your Broker, ask them to role play this, and even walk by your side in this transaction.

Best Wishes,

Mary Condon
If you are an agent, ask your broker owner and or office manager the question--it's their job to help you, that's what they get paid for......
Hello Dilza,
As an agent representing your buyer, you can give your counter offer to the seller's agent (the listing agent). This can be accomplished by a phone call, fax, e-mail, or in person. Sometimes, but not often, you can request to present the counter directly to the seller with their agent present. This has to be agreed upon by the sellers. Once an offer is accepted then written changes are made on the offer and signed and initialled by all parties.
I hope this is helpful.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Several ways exist. Whether I'm working with a buyer's agent or not, I've countered sellers via modified P&S, my addendum, e-mail, phone call to the selling party, etc. Assuming you're the buyer's agent, you could call the listing agent and ask which form of counter is acceptable.
I am not 100% sure I understand the question, but presenting a counter-offer to the seller is your job.

Feel free to give me a call 631-425-6150 if you wish to discuss the situation.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com