Home Buying in Danville>Question Details

Darkmatter14b, Home Buyer in Danville, CA

how bad would the commute be from danville to san francisco for a 3rd shift job starting at 11pm(nurse)??

Asked by Darkmatter14b, Danville, CA Mon May 10, 2010

Thinking about buying a house in Danville, CA

Answers

8
Hello Darkmatter,

The commute during off peak hours would be approx. 45 minutes. If you are currently thinking about moving to Danville, I can send you a list of homes in that and other nearby areas. Good luck :)

Kamal Randhawa
Broker
510-932-1066
Hi Darkmatter14b,

I would conservatively give yourself an hour. My neighbor lives the same distance from his commute, works odd shifts and he says it's anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes. As most mentioned below, it would be an easier commute if you lived closer to the Caldecot Tunnel, but there must be good reasons that you are choosing Danville., which is a qaint and wonderful community.

If you are not already working with an agent, I would recommend choosing one that can help guide you through the other questions and details of a move you might have.

Suzanne Looker
Hi "DM",

If you click on the link located below it will take you to a “Danville-to-SF” Google map that estimates a 36 to 80-minute commute (based on traffic).
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Danville…

EVEN BETTER, since you know what time you will be working each day, if you click on the "Traffic" button you will get real-time traffic; however, to see statistical commute times click on the "change" link right next to where it says "Live Traffic." Next, click the "Traffic at day and time" button and set the times you want to check for your likely commute condition based and historical traffic data!

You can use this to check out other city locations to consider as well.

As Isabelle commented, BART is another option. You can "engineer" a commute using available public options using the "Public Transit Trip Planner" here: http://www.511.org

Best, Steve
I would agree with the consensud but would suggest that there are other considerations.

Your gas costs should be taken into consideration as well as driving time. I tend towards Isabelle's suggestion that you may want to look at other options such as Lafayette or Orinda and maybe Alamo. Sure, the home prices may be a little higher, but better to pay a little less in gas and more on your mortgage. Gas is not a great investment. Less mileage means less wear and tear on your car as well.

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, DRE License # 01331583
J. Rockcliff Realtors, 15 Railroad Avenue, Danville, CA 94526
Phone (925) 997-1585 - bernard@bernardgibbons.com
Hi there,

All the answers below are pretty consistent and correct. If you have not bought your home yet, have you thought about purchasing in Lamorinda area (Lafayette, Orinda and Moraga)? Many people who work in the city opt for that location. It is closer, and there are two Bart stations near by. If you begin at 11:00 PM, Bart may still be running to get you to work in time. The schools in Lamorinda are excellent as well.

Just a thought.
Isabelle
Hello Darkmatter14,

No traffic at that hour, so expect a 35 minute commute, maybe 5 minutes for parking.

Jim Parlanti
J. Rockcliff Realtors
925-998-3138
jparlanti@rockcliff.com
Your Monday thru Thursday should be a breeze. Maybe 45 minutes. It depends on where you live in Danville, and it also depends on where you work. If you looking in Wendt Ranch and are working at the VA hospital out in the Richmond district/Presidio, you'll be over 45 minutes for sure. If you planning to buy somewhere on the West Side, and working at SF General or one of the other hospitals, 45 minutes is right. If you are on duty Fiday nights, the back up at the bridge is pretty bad at that time. I live in Walnut Creek so when I go to the City from Walnut Creek, I take 24 to 580 and the Bay Bridge. From Danville, I usually take 580 through Dublin-Castro Valley-Oakland Hills to get to the City.

You ought to GoogleMap your route. It will give you the estimated drive times.

Arturo Shivers
CA Lic. #01779941
KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY
760 Camino Ramon, Suite 200
Danivlle, CA 94526
Office: (925) 855-8333 Ext. 272
Web Reference: http://maps.google.com
Hello, It would depend on where you are commuting to in the City and where the house in Danville is located. It takes approximately 35 minutes to Downtown SF with no traffic. If you have to drive through the streets of the City, a minimum of 45 minutes. The 11 pm timeframe is a great commute time! I used to live in the Noe Valley area of SF.

Rosemary Shirley
760 Camino Ramon Ste 200
Danville, CA 94526
925.876.2525
DRE License No. 01729747