Home Buying in 34705>Question Details

Whitney, Home Buyer in 34705

how and who should we go to to make sure we get the house in our name?

Asked by Whitney, 34705 Mon Jun 4, 2012

mother in law is giving us her house and we want to just take over the mortgage. we don't know who to go to to make sure the house is in our name as well as how to switch the mortgage to our name as well

Help the community by answering this question:


Title companies serve the function of transferring real estate ownership.

"Switching" the mortgage to your name is a different matter altogether because you must first define exactly what you are trying to accomplish. Once that definition is set we can give you more info on how to accomplish your objectives.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
Hi Whitney,

Contact a good, local real estate attorney and follow their advice.

Nadine Mauro
Highlight Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
You can't just switch the mortgage to your name unless it's an assumable mortgage.

You wil likely need to qualify for a loan to either purchase the home, or if she was to quit claim you on title, and then lease option it to you and you make about 6 payments then apply for a loan to basically refi it in your name.

there are ways to do it, just every situation is different
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer