Home Buying in Naples>Question Details

Joe, Home Buyer in Naples, FL

house i like but it has chinese drywall what would be the cost to replace it or to fix the problem 3 bedrooms 2 washroom

Asked by Joe, Naples, FL Tue Oct 22, 2013

Add some detail about your question

Answers

12
Average is $20/sqft. Please buy the house cheap enough to justify the cost of the repair and the risk involved with owning this type of property.

Best place to start is to hire an Exclusive Buyer Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Visit http://www.naeba.org for a referral to an Exclusive Buyer's Agent in your area.

I've had a book published on Amazon called Buying a Home: Don't Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You. It'll be the best $6 you've ever spent. Follow the link below.

Best of luck!

Alysse Musgrave
214-734-3863
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
http://www.helpubuyamerica.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
Please call me my company has been doing Chinese drywall for 3 years.2393339292
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 9, 2013
You will probably want a General Contractor to do the work for you. They avg. from $18 - 24 per sq ft.

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2013" By Gulfshore Life Magazine
sarahgarrett@argfl.com
239-464-8620 Cell
Web Access to MLS:
Hi Joe,

Before you make an offer on the house, you certainly need to find the price to fix it. I am writing you because you may have just walked yourself into an awesome deal! Where most folks would walk away, you can purchase this home using the FHA 203K program and probably get it at a steal, fix it, and walk into a ton of equity!! The 203K allows you to finance the repairs right into the loan with only 3.5% down. All repairs are finished after closing. Unless you have a lot of cash saved up, this is the only way you will be able to close on this house because you might not be able to get insurance. Please give me a call so I can help you and make sure your offer is in line with what you should be paying for a home in this shape. I have been doing these loans for 21 years and have also been in construction so I am educated on both. My website is also loaded with info on the FHA 203K http://www.titanhl.com if you would like to check it out before reaching out.

Andy Wood
727-410-9663
awood@titanhl.com
Dear Joe, Thanks for posting. Yes, I can hook you up with three different licensed contractors that can do that work. They have been fair & reasonable for this type work. They may have had experience in the community you are looking at. If so, they may be able to show you a unit that has been completely remediated (provided you are not already working with another real estate professional). Each unit (or home) is a case by case basis and only an expert with Chinese drywall can advise as to the drywall & any other damage, etc. caused by the drywall.

Steve Moller, Realtor
Vanderbilt Realtors
Naples FL 34109
239-963-1262
Hello Joe i have been doing Chinese drywall refurbishing for 3 years...you completely remove all the drywall out of the house and then put it all back together again...there is a special permit that you get and its like having a brand new home!! I can provide more details but I am doing 4 of them right now!! the price starts around $20 square foot
Trying to work around an established "Chinese drywall" issue is serious business and should only be tackled by experienced contractors that know the ins and outs of remediating this material.

One of the problems is that if "air samples" are done, even after removal, the air test readings can be of a high level. This is because the drywall gases are absorbed by adjacent materials, wood, block, etc. This is why most abatement companies that know what they are doing will not only remove all of the nuisance material but they spray a sealant that contains the toxic odor that has been absorbed prior to replacing the wall board..

Chinese drywall is not an issue to cut corners with...it's important to do it right and have the work done by someone that will stand behind their work.

-
-
I know what to do and the lenders who handle such situations, call me after 1:00 today

97% LTV- NO PMI
97% LTV- CONDO- NO PMI
90% LTV- 2nd Home- NO PMI
90% LTV- JUMBO- NO PMI
85% LTV- Super Jumbo- NO PMI

85% LTV- Invest. /Rental
80% LTV- Foreign Nationals
70% LTV- Manf. Homes over 90k

STATED INCOME ALT-up to Super Jumbo

90% LTV- Short Sale, BK, Foreclosure Forgiveness
80% LTV- FIX n’ FLIP Invest. Prop.
75% LTV- Foreign Nationals
70% LTV- Soft and Hard Money

COMMERCIAL PROGRAMS-nationwide

Steve McRory
Pro Option Mortgage/ Florida
steve@pro-option.com
http://WWW.PRO-OPTION.COM
Ph: 888 662 4404
#204296

Prior Service: U.S. MARINE CORPS
====
call a couple contractors who specialize in this type of work and get estimates with details about what they do to make sure your home is free of that stuff. Remember, the cheapest might not be the best. Look at what they do and check their references.
Hi Joe,
I have a customer who is closing on a 3/2 home in a couple weeks that had Chinese drywall. He is purchasing it bare down to the studs and will be replacing drywall everywhere. If you'd like to send me some information about the property and your email, we can discuss it further. Also, if you or anyone you know can help you remove the drywall and replace it all that would help with your cost, but you would need a professional to look at all your electrical wiring and outlets in the home.
Lisa Giuttari
Lahaina Realty
SWFLPROPERTY4U@gmail.com
239-248-0377c
Hi Joe, I need and want commissions and would love to work with you, but first, I am not familiar with the property that you have in question. Do you happen to have an address for this property? If this is an ongoing question, I do apologize. If not, I may be able to help you. I have dealt with dozens, if not hundreds of homes that have minimal to excessive amounts of Chinese drywall when running a preservation Company. I would need some details about the property and/or the address before I could offer you any professional advice. You can reach me by phone and/or contact me via email at 239-269-2979 or zrappraiser@yahoo.com. A quick Warning :, using my Carpenter/Contractor hat (Not my Appraiser/Sales Associate Realtor hat), please be aware of all conditions to any given property before making a decision! Remediation for Chinese drywall can cost anywhere from $7.00 to $75.00 per square foot!, possibly more! I always recommend a home inspection before any offer is made. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. (FYI - I AM NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU. IT'S JUST IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING) Thanks, Adam .
Hi Joe. I have some contractors I work with. I could put you in touch with them, and they can give you a no obligation estimate. Send me a message at Matt@wisechoicere.com or call at 239.257.7953.
thank you Matt I havent bought it yet but i need to know roughly how much it will cost to see if it is worth it
Flag Tue Oct 22, 2013