Home Buying in Napa>Question Details

Ana, Home Buyer in Napa, CA

hi my name is ana and i 49 years old , can i live in this park??

Asked by Ana, Napa, CA Mon May 14, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Napa

Answers

5
John,
you are much too accomodating as well as being too accomplished at inferring that which may not have been implied:

Either that, or you have a very good crystal ball.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 15, 2012
We certainly don't mind answering your questions, however, before you ever put down any money on a MH in a rent/lease park/community you will need to get accepted by the park management at which time they will disclose the space rent, utilities, all related fees and costs and disclose the rule and regulations. 

There are some other things you need to know about purchasing a manufactured home as well. If it's a pre HUD, built before June 15, 1976 there could be some issues with caustic and carcinogenic chemicals i.e. formaldahyde, asbestos, etc.

Additionally, trying to obtain financing for a Pre HUD home is very difficult. 

You also need to have the home thoroughly inspected by an experienced Manufactured Home inspector and not just any home inspector.

There are several nuances about manufactured homes that an inexperienced MH inspector doesn't even know to addresss. 

Make sure they check the understructure (crawl space area) to see what kind of condition all the piers and pads are in and if the home is level.

They also need to check for rips and tears in the vapor barrier (membrane seperating the ground from the floor and holding the insulation in place. 

They also need to look for any signs of drainage issues i.e. standing water, soil erosion, gaping cracks in the soil, etc.

Many parks/communities were built in flood plains and have an inherent problem with drainage issues which can lead to instability of the piers and pads and mold issues. 

Finally make sure that the home has a Housing and Community Development Department (HCD) approved Earthquake Resistant Bracing System (ERBS) in place as that area is in a zone 4 seismic area and manufacture homes are extremely vulnerable to earthquakes.

If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us. Even though we do not service your area we would be more than happy to help you at no cost. We have been in the manufactured home business for almost 30 years and are a licensed general and manufactured home contractor, manufactured home dealer and developer and a real estate broker.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 15, 2012
Ron, I'm not entirely sure what your comment implies. I'm assuming you're referring to my presumption that she's referring to a "Manufactured Home park/community"? I certainly didn't think she was referring to a park bench somewhere in Napa. LOL!!
Hi ana,
I have listings in both Senior and All Age parks. Give me an idea of what you like, number of bedrooms, bathrooms, price, down payment, etc. I will look hard to find your needs.
Thanks, Carol
Which park do you have in mind?