Home Buying in Queens>Question Details

Haroldr, Home Buyer in Queens, NY

hi, i am an enthusiatic first time buyer but i cant understand why most of the listings with decent prices are not really for sale on this website?

Asked by Haroldr, Queens, NY Mon May 9, 2011

Also why is it that when i see these low prices on here and craigslist etc.. and i call up the agent , they always promise me the world, and although i give them what my budget calls for, all the houses they show me are way above my budget. this happens all the time here in Queens, Ny. Go check it out if you dont believe me. You will see absolutely stunning prices that seem like steals that either dont exist or cost much more. I dont know who to trust anymore. its always the same with everyone. i just dont get it.

Answers

6
Let me guess... U call some $80k-$200k UMV (under market value) ads and they are all sold or cash deals only.

These are called bait and switch ads (illegal as I may add)

I'll give you a ballpark numbers so u'll know what to look for.

99% of any ad you will see under $299,000 is bogas ad!!!!
The reson is that after doing real estate for years I had not came across not even one house in Queens & Brooklyn under that price!!

WHY YOU ASK?!?!
Because this is New York!! A single family in East & South Queens goes for $300k-$$450!!!!!!!!!
Anything under that is not real or is not in living condition at all!!!

SO NEXT TIME YOU SEE A HOUSE FOR $80,000 DON'T WAIST YOUR TIME EVEN CALLING!!!!

Other then that I can say that there are many good brokers out there that are fair onest and will not take you for a trip to neverland! I consider myself as one of them.

So if you budget is $300,000 and up I have a few good houses that are in great condition NO WORK IS NEEDED. Feel free to visit my web site and call me if you see something you like.

:-)
Web Reference: http://qbhomes.com
Hi Haroldr

The listings you will see on this site are essentially from 2 sources. They are listings entered and/or promoted by individual agents. I don't believe you will find much misrepresentation revolving around this source. The other source is other websites. Trulia is an aggregator of various real estate information. Much of which comes from RealtyTrac. The outside sources are not always complete or they have dated information. When you view this information try and check to see if they post when the listing data was originally posted. If it's more than a week or 2 then there is a high chance that the information is outdated. Trulia cannot update another sites data. My peeve about old data is that when sited from an outside source Trulia should highlight the original date posted. This can be misleading.
As far as the tactics of Queens Realtors I believe it is the exception and not the rule. Old habits die hard. Older brokers may be training some agents with old school approaches and these new agents don't really know anything else. Eventually they see how more professional agents deal with the public and they change.
Don't get discouraged! I'm an older agent but have advocated for a more transparent way of working with buyers and sellers. Older but not 'old school'.
I would be happy to represent you. I believe we will have a great time and find you a home more quickly than you would expect since I only work with a very limited number of buyers at one time. It's like a crash course in buying. Additionally I am a NYS Certified Residential Appraiser. When we find the home you are interested in I will be able to provide you with an accurate opinion of the properties value.
In the meantime please contact me. I will provide you with a free account from which you can see all current listings and current status'. It will also allow you to save/highlight properties you are interested in and send me notes about the properties, your schedule, etc. For both sales and appraisals I cover Queens and Nassau counties and have been doing so for approx. 25 years.

Allen Bauman
NYS Certified Residential Appraiser
Licensed R.E. Agent
Century21 Yve R.E.
516-791-3846
allen.bauman@gmail.com
I will be happy to provide you with a free account on Listingbook. where you can enter your preferences and totally control what you are looking for and what you see; and it does not obligate you to using a specific broker.

I nerd a couple of bits of info: first name, last name; email address and what you are looking for... The rest is up to you.
Wow, as a buyer's agent, I'm really, really sorry to hear this. It probably explains why I was so embarrassed to tell people what I did for years. Seriously. Real estate suffers from a terrible stereotype, and much of it is deserved. But there are solid people out there.

First...it's illegal to actually advertise a property that does not exist. Sometimes the property may have sold by the time you contact the agent but if the property is a fabrication, you can contact the local real estate board and have that person fined. Their behavior doesn't help anybody in the business.

As for showing places that are too high priced....man, this is a common complaint and so ridiculous. I get paid no matter which property you buy so why would I want to upset you or push you into a place that takes away your disposable income...but too many people are greedy, and realtors are not unique to this vice. You would think the agent cares about referrals and their reputation, at the minimum, but, no.

Craigslist can be huge for finding 'by owner' properties and other realty listed properties. BUT, because it is FREE, and has become quite popular, it is slowly being overrun with scam artists and 'professionals' who are less than scrupulous.

Here's my advice: Use realtor.com to get an idea of what is for sale in Queens. ALL of those properties are real and will have the number of the agent listing the house. Next, you should really find a buyer's agent who knows Queens to help you because generally they get paid from the Seller and don't cost you a penny.

How to find one: First, ask the friends and fam avenue. Next, check reputable reference sites like Linkedin, AngiesList, and Yelp.

And the final test for a buyer's agent: Meet him or her. See if you vibe well with them. Because if they will not listen to you or insist on showing you things you can't afford, you'll know at the first meeting. If they don't seem to understand your preferences, again, it's like meeting somebody at a BBQ and turning to your spouse and you say, "what's up with him?" If you encounter that feeling...walk! If you go through reference channels, you should meet a solid person within a few tries, I promise.
Keep in mind that not all online information on any site may be accurate, nor updated; therefore if looking to buy in the very near future, consider working with an agent of own; also check out http://www.mlsli.com Also if looking at RealtyTrac ads, keep in mind that RealtyTrac's information may not always be accurate and oftentimes can be misleading--you could be looking at a lis pendens property--notice of default--or some other fees; some of those properties may not be for sale yet, and some may never be, if the default is satisfied by the owner. Finally, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
This is the first that I am hearing of anything like this.Sounds like you are getting into the wrong hands.