Home Buying in Sharon>Question Details

Franklin, Home Buyer in Sharon, MA

hi how to choose an agent for buying a house

Asked by Franklin, Sharon, MA Mon Apr 12, 2010

we are first time home buyers and we want an agent to help us with our search.

Answers

13
Territory.com’s answer
Your best bet is to work with an EXCLUSIVE BUYERS AGENT. Not an agent who represents sellers/listings. You will get the best and most honest help this way. Ask each agent to present how long they have been in the business and how many deals they have done (and if you want, ask what their average negotiated discount off list price is for clients).

http://territoryre.com
Web Reference: http://territoryre.com
Hi Franklin, visit the agent's website - there you should get a sense of their presence and expertise, and be sure to read through the client testimonial section. Look for agents that have specific experience with the first time buyer pool - the patience and dedication that you are likely looking for is far more likely to be found in an agent that has experience with - and enjoys working with - first time buyers.

....identify a short list, interview them, and then go with your gut.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
We all want your business. Interview and ask for refrences.

First impressions count - find one that you feel comfortable with. Ask someone you know, who has bought a home about their experience.

If I can help, please contact me via email or phone.
Everyone says the same and we all want your business. Talk to a Realtor - interview. Ask for refrences.
You will know if you like the person at first impression.

You will have to sign an AgencyDisclosure - THIS IS NOT A CONTRACT. You can move on to another Realtor if you are not happy with their performance. If you sign an Exclusive Buyer's Agent, you will be with the Agent until the ontract expires.

If Ic an help, please contact me iether by phone or email.

amsrealestate@charter.net or 774-526-2457
You have a lot of great advice here. There are a lot of criteria a buyer should look at you need to have a motivated, educated, experienced buyer agent who you feel will do a great job for you. But most importantly, it is the agent you have a connection based on TRUST. This is the biggest financial decision of your life, you should be able to trust the adviser helping you make that decision.

If you would like to know how real estate works and the buyer agent's role in the process, please visit http://www.hometeamadvantedge.com and scroll down to the bottom to "view this presentation", click on it and the first button "how real estate works" to learn more.

Best of luck!
Hi Franklin,

You have received some great advice from my colleagues below! I would just like to add a few thoughts....

If I were a first time homebuyer again, I would have asked a prospective Buyer Agent if he or she would be patient with me, was willing to educate me, and would respect my budget.

Furthermore, unless you have specific towns picked out, your agent shouldn't be afraid to think outside of the box. .For example, you might want to consider buying in an 'up-and-coming' town...one that will help you build equity and prove to be a wise investment...give you the most 'bang for your buck' so to speak.

And finally, you are entering what is a complicated and confusing market (for lack of better terms). Today there are so many great deals to be had, but you need to know how to get them. Ask prospective agents how many short sales they have closed, what they do in competitive situations (and YES there are many...most commonly with bank-owned properties that are priced right for quick sale).

And finally, you need to feel comfortable with your agent, you absolutely need to trust him or her, and your agent should be available for YOU....when you are available.

Good luck and congratulations!

Judy Boyle
RE/MAX Signature Properties
508.561.7164
judyboyle1@verizon.net
Hi Franklin,

All are good answers below. It can be a daunting task when there are so many agents in real estate today to choose from. You can go by referrals from friends or family since they have already worked with someone and can attest to their knowledge and expertise, plus personality and professionalism. I am always glad to get a referral from past clients since it lets me know that I did a good job with them in the past. So that is a good place to start.

Or you could check out some agencies in your area by looking at their websites, seeing what services they offer, etc. Prudential Prime Properties has a great website to look at properties, showing you the addresses of the homes, plus neighborhood facts and up to date information on homes that are new to the market. I can set up a saved search for you based on your home buying criteria and can send you homes that closely match that criteria on a daily basis, making it convenient for you to search for homes on one site, rather than having to go to multiple sites. And you can request home tours as well if you see a property you like online.

I hope you can find someone who is a good fit for you and can make your home buying experience easy and stress-free. If you'd like to talk with me further on what I can offer you for real estate services, feel free to contact me anytime by email, text, or cell phone below. I wish you well on your search - now is a great time to buy!

Angela Dolber
Prudential Prime Properties
508-826-8553
angela@pruprimehomes.com
http://www.pruprimehomes.com
One very important question to ask is, "How likely is it that you or someone in your office will be representing the seller of the house I want to buy?" You don't want to choose to work with someone who will have to stop giving you advice or stop zealously advocating for you because they are a dual agent. At the very least, find out what their policy is if they have the listing for the home you want to buy. If they say they'll refer you to a great buyer agent in another company, then you'll know your interests will be thoroughly protected for the entire purchase process. If they say something like, "I know how to do dual agency properly; I do it all the time," that's a red flag, IMO.

Of course, experience matters. Ask them how long they've been practicing buyer agency and how many transactions they've done as a buyer's agent. There were relatively few buyer agents in Massachusetts before a law was passed in 2004 that made it legal for companies to represent both the buyer and the seller in the same transaction without calling it dual agency. It's called designated agency. Now anyone can call themselves a buyer's agent even if they work as part of a close-knit team with the listing agent of the home you want to buy.

Find out what professional designations they have, and if they actively take continuing education. Also, not all designations are equal. The best indicator of an agent who takes the profession seriously is the Council of Residential Specialists (CRS) designation. Less than 4 percent of all Realtors have the CRS designation, but CRS's account for almost 25 percent of all the residential sales in the U.S. Other designations that matter to buyers are Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) and Certified Buyer Representative (CBR).

Ask if they are a member of the Massachusetts Association of Buyer Agents (MABA).

Ask them what agency means, and see what they say.

Best of luck with your home purchase!
There usually aren't too many offering that service (in my area) so I'd go with most experience.
First and foremost make sure you like each other since you will be spending some time together. Interview two-three agencies and don’t be too concerned as to their locations; sometimes a local broker is no more skilled than one outside your area. Ask about scheduling around your needs, who will choose the properties to be seen, can you expect updates on new listings and recently sold properties, and how often will communication occur, etc. Ask about current sales in your areas of interest, negotiating strategies, etc. The answers to such questions should determine whether you should enter into a business relationship with an individual broker. Buyers should be aware that a mortgage pre-qualification/approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
Franklin,

It depends what is important to you, it could be experience, professionalism, friendliness, willing to help, etc. You will work with the agent for at least 3-4 weeks or more, so find someone who have a "click" with you but also is professional, knows the market, will respond to you in a timely manner. There are many sources to find an agent, you can search online, go to open house, ask your friends for referral, but the key is you would like to work with the person. Good luck in finding the right "click".
You can also ask for referrals from past clients. Try googling realtors and ask friends. I would be happy to help you if you would like to contact me. I have been a Realtor for 18+ years and have many referrals. You can contact me through email at mdmrealty@msn.com or 508-277-2032 Cell.
Web Reference: http://www.mdmrealtyinc.com
Franklin,
I'd start calling around, and the first agent who picks up the phone rather than leaving a message for them is one i'd add to your list.
Then start asking a few questions to them, an example is,
How soon can you take us out to view properties? How long has you've been in Real Estate? What area's do you cover? Etc. The questions are to make you comfortable with an Agent gives you talking time to see how you feel about them.
Call a few agents until you feel comfortable with them and get started..
Remember it's NOT the Company they work for it's the Agent who will work for you!!!!
All The Best
U R Home
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net