Home Buying in Brunswick>Question Details

Star, Home Buyer in Brunswick, ME

hI, what is meant by the term closing on a house? Is this when a person buying the house pays the down payment?

Asked by Star, Brunswick, ME Mon Oct 26, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


"Closing" refers to the actual point at which you sign all the documents and receive the keys to the property. Hope you have done this already or will soon. If you are still searching for property between Saco and Falmouth or between Portland and Windham, please give us a call. 207 712 4796
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 27, 2014
Hi Star - Let me add a bit of detail to the Maine process. This does vary a bit by state.
In Maine, the buyer usually presents the offer. This offer is usually in a contract form, known as a Purchase & Sale agreement. The contract stipulates a certain amount of "earnest money" that they Buyer presents with the offer. If the Seller accepts the offer, the earnest money is held in escrow until the closing.

At the time of closing, the buyer usually brings additional funds, called a "down payment" to the closing. Unless it is a cash deal, the difference between the down payment and sales price is usually the loan or financing amount. So the down payment may consist of earnest money presented at the time of the offer, as well as additional funds that the buyer brings to the closing.

At the closing, the buyer signs loan documents, if taking a loan. The seller receives full payment (unless there is Seller financing) and provides a deed to the buyer. The deed is recorded at the county registrar's office. In Maine, the closing is usually conducted by a ttle company or attorney, both of whom may conduct a title search, and issue title insurance, which all lenders require.

So that's the closing! Let us know if you have further questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 26, 2009
Hello Star,

Thanks for writing. We say the property is "closed" when the seller delivers a deed conveying title to the buyer and the buyer pays the balance due (either from their own funds, or borrowed from an investor). Usually this is done at the "closing table" in a conference room, although sometimes buyer and seller do it separately due to geography or scheduling. The down payment is delivered with the offer and is deposited into a trust account when the seller accepts the offer which makes it a valid contract. The down payment is then credited against the balance due at closing.
Web Reference: http://www.rickbeal.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 26, 2009
"Closing" is when you bring all the money and the deed transfers to you. Find an agent in your area who can work with you, and explain the entire buying process from start to finish.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 26, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer