Rachel Mellon, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

for resale value, is it better to...

Asked by Rachel Mellon, Los Angeles, CA Sun Jun 8, 2008

For resale value, is it better to buy a 2 bed 2 bath condo on a higher floor for a great view or the exact same unit on a lower floor that has a lower street view but is allowed to have hard wood floors?

Answers

14
I'd go with the higher floor with a great view (make sure there is no potential of building in front to block the view in the future). View sells more than hardwood floors.

Sylvia
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Novato, CA
Higher floor with the view.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 13, 2008
One thing that many of the previous posts haven't touched on is the fact that you will pay less when you buy the property if you don't have a view.
The increase in value will likely be fairly proportional to the purhcase price regardless of whether it has a view or not. You shouldn't think that you will you 2 units that are identical, except for the view, and you will pay the same for them today. You will pay more for the view and you be able to sell the view unit for more.

It is unlikely that the unit without a view will increase by 10% and the unit with a view will increase by 20%. It is more likely that the percentage increase will be very similar with both units, but since you paid more for the view you will see the view unit for more. The view may allow you to sell it faster, but the increase will likely be proportional.

Again, you have to live there, so what makes you happier?

Ray
Web Reference: http://www.charityar.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Rachel,
It's LA ..so always go for top floor and view.. BTW..there are some fabulous floor coverings that can pizazz to a unit.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Kaye Thomas, Real Estate Pro in 90266
Rachel,
I would say that about 80% of my buyers will prefer a view over hardwood floors if having to choose. Usually a higher floor unit costs more than a lower floor. If you can afford the higher price you will enjoy future appreciation dollars on the additional investment.
However, it also depends on what kind of view (city ights, water, mountains...) it is and where the building is located. If it is a nice area thn the draw back of the lower floor may not be as great - especially if you have a larger terrace for example. Good luck with your purchase. I know you'll come to the right decision for yourself.
Clemens Mandell
Coldwell Banker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 8, 2008
Hi Rachel, most of my buyers prefer to have a higher floor unit. It offers views in most cases and no one above you. Also, some people feel that there's better security on a higher floor.

But, if hardwood floors are important to you then stick with the first floor.

I'm attaching a link on top 10 tips to buying a condo. I wrote it for Monterey Hills, but it's pretty much applicable to all condos.

Good luck with your purchase!
Irina
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 8, 2008
People love views. It's practicably what sells a place. Many people prefer to have hardwood floors as well. I suggest you pick the one that appeals the best to you. Usually, if you have a choice between a condo with a view and a condo without, and the price is almost the same, I would recommend the unit with the view.

Either way, you will be able to sell it as long as you list with an agent that knows what is going on. I recently sold this place at the highest sale price since 2007. http://www.hollywoodhighrise.com/

Check it out. It's a great unit with amazing views.

Solomon Team
(310) 979-3798
SoldbySolomon@gmail.com
Web Reference: http://www.larealtor4u.com
Good question. The buyers I have been working with absolutely love hardwood floors so we are looking at only lower units.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 2, 2008
I will keep this short and seweet. Go for the higher floor. A nice carpet and a great view will sell faster than a nice floor with no view any day.
Web Reference: http://www.sharpbuyers.com
Hi Rachel. The view for sure. Much better for resale

If you need help please let me know

Kind Regards
Michael Barron
First Team Real Estate
(714) 552-6817
michael-barron@sbcglobal.net
Rachel, short and simple...take the one with the view! When you get home from a hard day at work, what would you rather look at? The view or the floor?

Dyanna
Rachel,

I agree with the previous answers. However, you should also consider that more people are becoming more aware of indoor air quality. It may become more important to have hardwood floors in the future rather than carpet. I think that it will be a while before the broad population becomes more concerned with indoor air quality above view. But it is something to consider. Keep in mind that in some cases you can still use a hard type floor on upper levels of a complex depending on the association and the installation of the product. A good product to consider is cork flooring.

Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions and good luck on your home search. Remember you shouldn't just consider resale. Consider how you will like to live there and what is more important to you.

Ray
Web Reference: http://www.charityar.com
Dear Rachel,

My opinion it is better to buy 3 bedrooms than 2! But that was not your concern! Home with view is more appealling than non-veiw. However for older couple ground floor access that has no stairs is a must have.

Higher floor is less noisy and probably more private. At the sametime nice wood floor makes your condo very attractive. If access is also by elevator than I pick the higher one with the view and pick a nice floor and enjoy living in it. Remember that every home has a buyer and when you are ready to sell you only need one!

Homa
Rachel -

Higher floor and view. Anyone can get hardwood floors. Hardwood is popular today but may not be tomorrow. Not having anyone above you - better value.

CJ
Web Reference: http://www.TalkToCJ.com