Home Buying in Secaucus>Question Details

Msmhw, Home Buyer in Secaucus, NJ

flooding and/or odor in SECAUCUS, NJ?

Asked by Msmhw, Secaucus, NJ Mon Aug 3, 2009

i found a place in secaucus that i'm ready to make an offer, but i need to resolve two concerns before i can purchase. can someone who has lived in/very familiar with the area help?

1. is there flooding in secaucus from the hackensack river? the place i want to buy is located north of rt 3, with the river literally at the end of street. it has no basement, but i'm concerned about first floor mold and mildew.

2. i heard secaucus suffers from horrible odors from the meadowland marshes nearby, esp in the heat of summer. can someone who has actually lived in the area tell me if this is true?

thanks so much!

Answers

2
Honestmom’s answer
I have lived in Secaucus for 5+ years and there are no odors day to day. There were two separate days, in the past 5 years when I did smell an odor but it did not linger or stay. 2 days in 5 years can happen anywhere in any town so the answer is no. Secaucus is odor free. Living here I appreciate the marsh and the natural lands and there is a naturalist endeavor to preserve the wetlands. Check out the http://www.hackensackriverkeeper.org people come from all over to kayak and enjoy the wetlands. There is also a great hiking trail. The proximity to NYC is GREAT. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the things you will find here. I never would have thought there would be a nature trail only 7 miles from NYC. Low taxes are also a plus. If possible try checking out Laurel Hill park where they have kayaking on the river, and very new soccer and softball fields. Also check out Buchmuller Ice Rink in the winter for very affordable ice skating. Also nice to have movie theaters and a lot of shopping close by.
Oh as far as flooding, I am on the south side of Rt 3, so I can't speak for the north end. Considering the numerous storms we have seen the past year I haven't had any problems. There is one area around the Rt 3 Meadowlands Parkway ramp that gets a little wet when storms are severe but it isn't a flood, just a small pool of water but the town has a good system it is usually taken care of. Again you would get that just about anywhere. I always here about flooding in some towns but I have never heard of any flooding in this area that made the news like I have heard of in other towns.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 16, 2009
I beg to differ...the odor on the north end of Secaucus by the town pool is so horrible that I want to vomit everytime I drive by it. My parents live near the town pool and they step out of their house everyday particularly in the summer time to the most foul sewer odor you can possibly imagine. I wouldn't buy a house near that area or rentone. The bugs, mosquitoes, gnats, etc. are overwhelming. They have to do something about that bug problem too.

Also in terms of flooding, Secaucus doesn't have proper drainage of water. When it rains really hard the water can get so high that it can seep into your car if you are in certain areas that are prone to flooding. Park your car on a hill when high volumnes of rain are exprected and then at least your car is safe. But as far as your home, if you don't have french drains installed, get them installed before you buy your home.....

Best of luck to all of those that plan on buying homes in Secaucus or renting in that area.

Secaucus Resident
There was a problem with the water treatment plant. It has been fixed.
Flag Thu May 10, 2012