Home Buying in Little Rock>Question Details

Janelle Toom…, Other/Just Looking in Little Rock, AR

father passed awat how do i get deed of house put in my name

Asked by Janelle Toombs, Little Rock, AR Sat Aug 14, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Janelle, sorry about your loss.

Bottom line...you need an attorney. It's a "legal" matter that has to pass through the court system and a real estate agent can't help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 14, 2010
good afternoon...first, i would check at the register of deeds office in the county where the property is located to see if he added you on title via a quit claim deed...this could have been done without you even knowing about it.or if it is in some of his papers...if so, you could already have an interest in the property either by joint rights of survivorship or joint tennants in common.if that didn't happen, and he left a will, the estate (including the house) will have to go through probate court and deeded to you that way...whoever the executor is, i suggest pulling pre-title to check on old/undischarged, mortgages, liens, or anything else that could create a time delay transferring interest..if he was married and his spouse is deceased, a recordable copy of her death certificate would need to be recored..as lynn mentioned, if you want to keep the home, and there is a mortgage, you would need to qualify for a new loan...if it is free and clear..just be sure the taxes and hazard insurance is paid up and your should be good...
best regards
bob mcclure
mortgage one
brighton, michigan
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 14, 2010
Condolances on the loss of your father. That's rough. Hopefully yourj dad had a will and you are named as heir and executor. You will need to probate the will, most likely through an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 14, 2010
Confer with real estate attorney in order to transfer the title, it could also involve the courts.

Sorry read about your Dad

However if the home IS NOT PAID FOR STILL has a mortgage you would need qualify for a loan

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 14, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer