Home Buying in Killeen>Question Details

Sarah, Home Buyer in Killeen, TX

does washer/dryer being upstairs pose a potenial problem?

Asked by Sarah, Killeen, TX Mon May 9, 2011

It's a potential problem if you say it is.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 10, 2011
I don't believe so. Our house is a 2 story with the mud-room upstairs and we like it just fine. I think that as long as your master bedroom is on the same level as your Washer & Dryer area, then it isn't a problem.

If you question is more construction related and the potential for water leaking down into the first floor, then I guess that would be an issue if a pipe break ever did occur. However, this would be true of any showers / baths / toilets that leak on a 2nd story as well. They all have the potential to be a problem, but it properly maintained and you can fix a problem quickly then it's a non-issue.

The bigger concern or item you might want to consider is the come resale time a 1 story home is generally more marektable than a 2 story home since less people want to or are able to climb stairs.

Just my 2 cents.
No , many home owners prefer these be located upstairs

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
Hi Sarah,

To answer your question, the washer and dryer upstairs does not mean red flag. Of course anything can happen, it could leak downstairs as well. The key to ensuring your washer is stable is to get a home inspection, and/or putting a pan underneath it as the hot water heater has.. Even if it is new Construction a home inspection can still apply. Of course it is solely out of your pocket, but builders miss things as well as in a preowned home. The upstairs washer and dryer is just another innovative idea that changes up a floor plan, as well as it keeps the laundry upstairs away from company or something sours its in more private, personal area. You would hate to have company over and the laundry room door got left open. Nine times out of ten you wont be entertaining upstairs where your bedrooms are. From what I have seen in the new homes with this option, the laundry room is secluded and you wouldnt be in it unless you know its there. They are also a lot larger being upstairs. With all things in purchasing a home is a risk. Just because the cover plates cover the electrical wiring doesnt mean theres not something faulty behind it, or the GFCI with the plugs. So not to alarm you, but for you to understand that anything can happen. Dont walk in thinking negative because its something different. I can see why that question would be of alarm if a leak was to form. I do know that you will have a 10 year builder warranty and ceiling to floor wall to wall your first year. You would definitely have time to see if a leak forms in a years time. But having an Agent with the proper tools to walk you through the process and answer all these great questions is key. Give me a call. I would be happy to make an appointment and assist you with your purchase. Dont be afraid to buy.. becoming a homeowner is wonderful!

Tameka Jiles
Exit Homevets Realty
2000 E Centex Expwy Suite B
Killeen, TX 76541
254 317 2978
A lot of new construction in my area offers laundry rooms on the (2nd floor) bedroom level, eliminating the need to carry the dirty laundry downstairs, and the clean laundry back upstairs!

If placed on the second floor, you need to make sure the washing machine is set on a pan in order to catch any possible leaks in the future.
It's also good to have a water turnoff valve so you can turn it off when not in use, or , especially if you're away for an extended period of time.
I like it downstairs near the garage, but some ladies seem to like it upstairs where the laundry is.
Probably not a bad idea upstairs or downstairs to check the connections every month.
I'm sure no one does this, but probably good practice either way.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
The washing machine should be installed in an area plumbed for drainage, if the machine leaks, it goes into this shallow tub and drains into the main drain. Hoses should be replaced with burst free hoses as well.
Hi Sarah, Many buyers like the idea of having the laundry upstairs. The only concerns would be if there is a leak and water comes trough the ceiling, and eventually the machines.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
You will find in general this is more of a personal preference. Some people like it for convenience to the bedrooms and bathrooms where laundry tends to accumulate the most. However there are others I have heard dislike the washer and dryer up near the sleeping areas because of noise.

One last note, I have heard on rare occasion where the washer tends to rock forward but this is usually not the issue when a home has more sturdy flooring built in washrooms.

Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference.
Web Reference: http://www.century21nhr.com