nofreeze2, Both Buyer and Seller in San Tan Valley, AZ

does replacing vinyl with tile help sell my home?

Asked by nofreeze2, San Tan Valley, AZ Wed Jul 9, 2014

We are trying to sell as soon as possible. Our house is in really good condition however we have vinyl flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms on the main floor. I am trying to find out if replacing the vinyl with a nice looking tile would help the home sell faster? Thanks

Tile is better than vinyl so it adds value and desirability to your home. Stone is even better. Both should help you sell faster. But, you need to assess whether the time and expense will give you a positive return.
Web Reference:
This is good to know. I will have to put some tile in my home. I want to do whatever I can to add value to it. I'm sure buyers would love to see tile in a home, especially in a bathroom. I didn't know that stone would be even better. I'll look into that.
Flag Tue May 26, 2015
It may not necessarily add value to your home but it will be an upgrade. By changing the vinyl to tile it will most likely help your home to sell faster.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 10, 2014
Tile would be considered an upgrade by most people, so yes, any upgrading should help you sell quicker, for more cash. Good luck !
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jul 9, 2014
Find a good local agent and ask their advice! This is probably market and situation specific.

In my market, cosmetic updates is where you'll see money back upon the sale of the home. But there are certain maintenance items that need to be in order (roof, heating system, electrical, siding, etc.) in order for you to get what your house is worth -- but they don't necessarily add a whole lot of value.
Hi there, if the vinyl floors are dated, I would definitely recommend replacing them with tile.
Tile would be considered an upgrade to vinyl in nearly all instances. Tile is an inexpensive upgrade that will likely allow you to receive a higher offer on your home. I would recommend it.
Yes, it will make the more appear more appealing and modern. You may not get all the money back....but you may sell faster.
It absolutely does. You may not get back the total investment, but you will attract a lot more interest in the home.
I think that replacing the vinyl with tile will definitely help with the sale of your home. It will add value, and the property will have a better chance of selling quickly. As others have already mentioned, you need to determine if the benefits will justify the time and cost of the installation. The increased value and appeal may not be worth the effort.…
It definately makes the home more desirable by a potential buyer.
Tile is typically a more desired flooring option for potential buyers. You do need to consider all of your options though.
It certainly will not hurt!
Totally agree with answers below - tile is almost always preferable. Porcelain is a great choice if you don't want to break the budget, but natural stones like marble are often big selling features.
Tile will be always preferred over Vinyl.

Hello nofreeze2. Just checking to see if you did the tile upgrade in the kitchen and/or bathrooms and if it made a difference.

I agree with everyone that says it might not add actual 'value' in terms of dollars but it definitely would add 'appeal' which typically leads to a quicker sale when compared to competing homes in the same area with sub-standard features and amenities.

I often have buyers in San Tan Valley as well and I'd love to view your home if you have it currently listed.

Jim Mitchell
Realty ONE Group
PH: 480.231.6769
What is the condition of the current floor? There are some types of vinyl that look really great and resemble tile . You would want to discuss with the agent that is listing your home how you should handle the flooring.
Almost any upgrade you do is wise. Even if it was replacing vinyl with new vinyl would be better than not upgrading. If you can paint one wall in each room if you cant paint the whole home. You will still get the benefits of the new paint smell which buyers associate as being a fresh scent and you get to bring the home to a neutral state again. I have many tips on pre staging for listing your home. Give me a call and let me show you how I can get the best return on your listing.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2014
Replacing vinyl flooring is a wise investment. Tile lasts a long time and most buyers will prefer it. New tile is typically an upgrade to a home.
That all depends on the potential customers and the condition of the vinyl. I personally don't appreciate tile because growing up I had to deal with it. By that, I mean clean it. It was not easy tile to clean either. If I were looking at the house, the vinyl would be a plus not a minus. So also long as it is good quality, you should be fine.

Michael Foster
In most cases a prospective buyer will desire tile over vinyl. However, before doing any significant upgrades to your home you should consult a professional. As a Realtor for 8 years and a real estate investor for over 20 years I will be happy to share with you some of the key areas to focus on and avoid to get the "biggest bang for your buck". Feel free to give me a call. 480-250-0837.
I would like to view the vinyl and your home to give you advice on what should or should not be done. I would not want you to spend money that is not needed. I am happy to meet you at your convenience to walk through your home and give you advice on how to prepare it to sell quickly for top dollar. Please give me a call at your convenience.

Tiffany Carlson- Richison

Realty One Group

Cell 480-215-1105

Awarded as a Top 40 Agent under 40 in 2013 and 2014 from SEVRAR

Awarded 2014 REAL TRENDS America's Best Real Estate Agents in 2014

The answer to your question is yes - it can help the home sell faster (usually). Most buyers are looking for move-in ready condition; this includes updated tile flooring, carpet and paint as a minimum (granite countertops & SS appliances are a plus). With competition with new home sales in your area (STValley & QC); it's probably best to do the tile floor updates on your home... you can do this for a modest amount by choosing a neutral ceramic or porcelain tile - one that's on sale - for example.

Best of luck!
Pamela Brewer
I don't think it adds any value to your home, but a buyer may be more enticed by tile than they would towards vinyl.

Rebecca Kallhoff
Maybe...but do not expect to obtain that cost back in the sale. I think one of the best things about Pinterest is the ability to find DIY projects around the house to improve value (i.e. planters, fire pits, decks, pergolas, etc.).
I agree.
If you are considering a DIY project, there are real considerations you must take.

I would advise hiring professional floor stripper to prepare the floor before any tile activity starts.
A bad tile job will prove to be a liability.

Pick classic design. Everyone reading will see images when I say 1980's tile. Avoid that result.
General answer without seeing the property is "yes". Be sure to choose a neutral color and style and you may even try to view some homes in your area around the price you will list yours to see the level of improvements those sellers have made.