Home Buying in Bayville>Question Details

Wreck3310, Home Buyer in Bayville, NJ

does my property have a underground tank?

Asked by Wreck3310, Bayville, NJ Sat Jun 30, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


I recommend all my buyers get a tank sweep. It's just too costly to repair if there is one and it has leaked. Hoffmans in Neptune is very reasonable and easy to work with.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 2, 2012

First, especially if you are not the orginal owner of the house, check with the township to see if there's anything on file about removal and/or filling it in (called decommisioning). If nothing comes up, and there was previously oil heat in the house, sometimes it's easy to find out if the oil tank was in the basement.

However, the only way to find out if there is/was an oil tank in the ground is to pay for a tank sweep from a reputable tank remediation company. If you find a tank, and there was no record of proper decommisioning of the tank. then pay for a soil evaluation to see if it leaked.

Despite what Jaques said, there are very strict DEP rules and procedures on removing and/or decommisioning an inground tank, and some municipalities require the total removal of the tank.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 1, 2012
If you want to email me your address I can see if there is any history on the street and even your home if any of the neighboring homes had oil heat. It really depends on when your home was built and if there was gas available in the street when they built it. In the Pinewald area there are a lot of areas that had propane and oil.

Here are some red flags which may help you figure it out, check and see If you have any pipes (filler and/or vent) around the perimeter of the home or look for disconnected thin lines in the crawl space or basement that may have been cut, those are usually indicators that their was oil previously on the property.

The one way to find out for sure is to have a tank sweep done there is a local firm called Hydroscience that can do this for you. They actually took care of my uncle's property on Central Blvd in Bayville he had an underground tank, they will know exactly what to do. There website is http://www.Hydroscienceinc.com and the phone number is 732-349-9692. If you should have any further questions or thoughts just let me know I would be glad to help out.


Justin Bosak
The Ocean's Six Group
REMAX Real Estate LTD

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 30, 2012
It is possible if you had oil heat before. You can have an oil company check for you and either dig it up or have it filled in with sand
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 30, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer