Home Buying in Jenkintown>Question Details

Yoav C, Renter in Jenkintown, PA

does having a house on the National Register of Historical Places increase property tax or limit what can be done to the property?

Asked by Yoav C, Jenkintown, PA Sun Jan 20, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3098309904-210-Township-Line-…

Answers

2
Your property taxes do not seem to be affected by this status. What you pay in commensurate with other homes in Jenkintown Boro.

I respectfully disagree with Carol about the restrictions of the status. I recently was looking into a property for a client that was on the register. The designation affects very little in reality, and as Carol said, is more for prestige and recognition. In the case of the home I was talking about, my client was seeking to remove the existing structure (which was in great disrepair) and the historical designation would have done nothing to prevent that from happening.

Best of luck with the sale of your home. I used to live in Jenkintown and loved the area.

Warmest regards,

Joshua Stein, REALTOR®
Coldwell Banker Preferred – Conshohocken

Office:(610) 828-9558 * Cell:(215) 866-8030
Direct:(484) 270-1165 * Fax: (215) 999-5894
Email: jstein@cbpref.com
Web: http://www.joshuasteinhomes.com

PA License #RS317975
Hello, Ychud,

Having a home on the National Register of Historical Places will definitely limit what can be done to the property. You must conform to certain regulations regarding exterior renovations, colors, etc. Whether or not the taxes will be affected is determined by the municipality, however, I haven't seen that happen.

Many years ago I had to do an appraisal assignment on such a home. As it turned out, there was no significant difference in value (based upon local data) between a home on the historical register and one which was not. Often, this is something of a prestige factor.

If I can help you with anything else, please let me know..

Carol Cei, ePRO, Realtor
ReMax Hall of Fame and Platinum Club
Five Star Professional
ReMax Action Realty
carol@carolcei.com
215.643.9661