Home Buying in Baldwin Hills>Question Details

Judy, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

does anyone have info regarding the tall power lines that goes through baldwin hills? is it safe to buy a house that's near these towers?

Asked by Judy, Los Angeles, CA Mon Apr 8, 2013

Answers

14
Steve Ornellas’ answer
Hi Judy:

Regarding Electric and Magnetic Fields (EMF) Radiation from Power Lines:
There are plenty of reports and studies on this subject; however, I'm not sure a FINAL conclusion to this question has been reached.

For an opinion on risk I turned to a friend who is an electrical engineer who wrote the following:

"In general, the power of the EM field rolls off with the square of the distance from the source. I think that I read somewhere that 300 feet is the region of concern. However, 60 Hz is very low frequency, and I really don’t think there is much merit to the health concern. Also, if you are within a foot of a power cord in your home or office, or even a wall with power running in it, you’ll be exposed to the same field strength (you have to be close though)."

The truth is that some people will not care about the electrical towers and some will. I would say given a choice, Buyers would choose not to live by electrical towers (or any other non-standard condition) for aesthetic and/or health concerns (whether justified or not). These sensitivities will ebb-and-flow depending on supply/market conditions and how long the Buyer plans to occupy the property.

-Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
The answers below pretty much hit the nail on the head. No one really "knows" whether power lines pose a risk - but even if people "perceive" there to be a risk.......it's going to hurt your resale value. If you are asking the question - others will be too......and when it comes to one of the single most important, and biggest, investments you'll ever make - you have to ask yourself if you are willing to roll the dice when there are so many options out there.

Hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
These are all good answers, at the end of it all you have to make your mind up... if you want peace of mind do not buy near them... there are plenty of other houses around :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
Judy,
Buying a home near power lines, especially high power transmission lines has been a resale issue and I suspect will continue to be one. As Realtors, the vast majority of us are not scientists or Doctors. We are not qualified to answer the question as to whether there may be health issues related to living close to power lines. There are countless articles arguing this subject that you may find doing a Google or Bing search.
What we are qualified to tell you is that the general market for homes in the proximity to power lines is less than the same home far away from them. If you decide that you are comfortable with any safety issues you must get a great deal and then be prepared to give a comparably great deal when you choose to sell.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 8, 2013
Our research has never been able to prove health issues with High Tension power lines. Please research this so that you are comfortable with your choice.
There apparently is definitive concensus on the health affects of these Power lines. I suggest you do some research on the internet and come to your own conclusion
Hello Judy. I just purchased a home on Bowesfield Street in Baldwin Vista near Clyde Street. We are close to what are called the Lattice Towers that run North and South along Carmona Avenue. I called DWP and those towers are 143K Volt lines. My home is about 1,200 feet away from these towers which I felt was a safe distance. However, I personally would not live closer than about 500 feet from the towers. My girlfriend who is an intuitive healer could feel the energy of the towers when we were 100-200 feet away from them. Good luck with your home search. Baldwin Hills and Baldwin Vista are wonderful neighborhoods, we have been surprised at the friendliness of the neighbors. Dan
Judy,

I have close friend who swears power lines caused her child to become ill. I also know other people who live close to power lines and aside form them being unsightly and sometimes giving off weird sounds, they have had had no health related issues with them.

The BEST person to ask this question is your family doctor. He./she should be able to provide you some real facts backed by research studies.

Best of luck to you!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Dear Judy,
To my knowledge a connection between High Tension Power Lines and public health has never been substantiated by research. The worst thing about them, I would think is that they are not very attractive.
Carlos provided two good informational links. Finding are inclusive but suggestive. Go with your gut feeling if you are concern about it now than look a bit further where you will have piece of mind. I'm in the area have not experience or heard anyone talk about it.

Please feel free to contact me with questions or concerns.

Xochilt Ortiz
The Real Estate Group
xochiltortiz@yahoo.com
If you are not working with an Agent, you should be. I would advise you not to purchase too close to these lines. Even though there is "no conclusive evidence" that they do pose a risk, the perception is there among most people that they are a health hazard. For that reason alone, the value of the property will not appreciate as much as it might if it were not close.
The issue is not whether or not these specific power lines are safe or not, but whether or not thse high power lines pose any risk in general
Here is some info:
http://www.hps.org/hpspublications/articles/powerlines.html
and
http://www.epa.gov/radtown/power-lines.html
Please contact me directly, and I'll be happy to get you the info requested...If you are not currently working with a Realtor.
Susan@SusanBour.com
Susan Bo'ur Realtor
Coldwell Banker