Home Buying in Detroit>Question Details

craigslist11, Home Buyer in Detroit, MI

does an owner occupant need an occupancy permit? what is the penalty for not having this?

Asked by craigslist11, Detroit, MI Thu Oct 11, 2012

I am concerned that I will not immediately have the funds to meet code and may not have all the funds for some time. I am looking at an older home that has been owned by the same person for 50 years and, although functional for my needs, is not updated. My plan was to slowly make improvements to the home, however, I can not afford 2 places to live at once nor can I afford to make a long list of improvements immediately. What can I expect from the inspection (I assume everything will have to meet current code as if this were a new build?)? Can I avoid the inspection? Go without the permit? If I were to do this what would the potential penalties/ drawbacks be? I have no intention of renting the home nor am I that concerned with selling it for a profit in the future. I just need a home for my family.