Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Aj, Home Buyer in 77077

does age of house matter?

Asked by Aj, 77077 Mon Nov 5, 2012

does it matter if I buy a house built in mid-90s in 2012. I realize that inspection may catch "big" fixes that may be required. But when one gets ready to sell it would be a 30 year old house. Wont it hurt resale?

Answers

8
Hello AJ, i wish you the best of luck in finding you a new home, To me age doesnt matter. :)
AJ my feeling is that location is the key to where you buy, be it a 30 year old house or a new house. Even a newly built home requires inspections. My suggestion is get yourself a good Realtor who has your interests at heart and tell him/her your needs, that is what we do best. Call or e-mail me and I will be glad to help you.
Hi Aj, as most of my peers have stated, demand and location command what sells. If you feel right with the choice of house you are interested in, then move ahead. Everyone has different choices in their selection of home. Some "old" homes don't look their age at all because of the amazing updates that are done.

The 'resale' price of your home will be in accordance with what sells in your area at any given time.

Feel free to call or email if you have further questions.

Persis
713-294-7747
persis.realtor@gmail.com
In my neck of the woods we call 30 year old properties "modern" or "newer buildings." Most everything else is close to a 100 years old or more. My own house is almost 200 years old. As the seller of my first house (160 years old) said "There's a cup for every saucer."
Have you every heard of "location, location, location"! When the house can't make it any more through updates, upgrades, then usually the land is worth more than the home. AND the process starts all over again.

I live in 77077 zip code and started in West U in 1967--there's not enough time/space to explain that areas change. Even in west Houston we have larger lots than the new communities and in some areas they are beginning to tear down older homes just to build bigger, more modern homes. Yet lot of older homes have a special charm and are popular. Not everyone wants to be on a block where you have to know the house number to find which one--they look almost alike.

If I can help--glad to!

Brenda Peavy, Broker
PV Properties
281-497-1290
http://www.har.com/BrendaPeavy
http://www.har.com/PVProperties
I just sold a 100year old house and that's what the buyer wanted specifically.
I have two other buyers currently looking for 100 year old houses.

Some people want new, some want old, some want somewhere in between. So every buyer is different.

Think of Europe where there are plenty of houses 200-300 years old.

I would guess the neighborhoods in Houston with the most expensive homes on average also has some of the oldest homes on average.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Location and Condition are the main factors for purchasing a home.
A Realtor that knows the market should be able to help you make a good decision, and dont skimp on your Inspector. He/she is worth their weight in gold because even if you buy a house "as is" you will now have a list of everything that needs to be done to bring up to par, look at it like your adoption papers for the house....
Like Al said, you would be amazed at how much an older home can fetch, especially since a lot of them have bigger yards and mature trees...
Check out my website and send me a messege if you are not working with an agent yet !
AJ ...

Price is affected primarily by condition and location. If the home is in great shape (especially if it's been updated) and in a desirable area, resale won't be affected a bit. I live in a subdivision of homes built in the '60s ... and even I'm surprised at the prices they command. If I can provide any additional information, drop me an e-mail.

Regards ...

Al Geffon
(713) 213-6350
al@algeffon.com
Web Reference: http://www.har.com/algeffon