Kathy, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

do you need to do your own inspection for 8-year old townhome/condo if the seller already provide theirs?

Asked by Kathy, San Jose, CA Tue Mar 26, 2013

We are considering a 8-year old townhome-style condo, we already have the seller's inspection report, and we plan to waive inspection contingency, do we still need to do our own inspection? what can go wrong for a 8-year old townhome/condo?

Answers

5
Dear Kathy,
If you were "my" client I would tell you to never bypass your own inspection even with new property. If you look at your purchase contract we have many places that advise you to "get a home inspection" there is good reason for this caution.
Just for a quick example, I sold a new condo that looked perfect, but upon inspection the dishwasher did not work and the bathtub was installed by the builder wrong. Because of that, the bathtub did not completely drain. Save yourself frustration, and satisfy yourself with a good home inspection, it's worth it!
A home inspection is just great "insurance". The inspectors check all the appliances, hvac, and lot's of other things super thoroughly. I know when I have done them, I have usually found issues that the seller fixed.
I would recommend having another inspection done, unless the inspection was done by someone your realtor is very familiar with / has used before.

Also, I recognize we are in a very competitive market for buyers, but I would recommend you leave an inspection contingency in your offer...even if you specifically state you are buying the home in As Is condition. An inspection may reveal a fundamental problem that could cost more to fix than you are willing / able to pay. With an inspection contingency, you would be able to cancel the contract. Without the contingency, you will not be able to cancel the contract based on the findings.

Assuming a builder can not make a construction error is perhaps not a good assumption. Eight years ago, new homes were being built very quickly. While most builders did an outstanding job, there may be some problems. It is always good to check.

Sally Blaze
I totally agree with Cindy. The seller's inspector is his/her advocate not yours. It could be his brother, cousin or Uncle Wipsnade for all you know. You want an independent from someone who has your back.
You don't need to, but I would get my own. You have no idea who the seller's inspector is. Over the years,I've seen some inspectors miss way too much. You're buying a home that costs at the least a few hundred thousand dollars...so are you really going to pinch pennies over a few hundred dollar inspection???

Do yourself a favor and do your own inspection...if for no other reason than peace of mind.