Home Buying in Fremont>Question Details

Brenda, Renter in Fremont, CA

do you have an agent name Teves Jason?

Asked by Brenda, Fremont, CA Tue Sep 11, 2012

Answers

8
Hi Brenda,

Unfortunately, this type of scam is rather prevalent these days. If you find yourself interested in another rental where the owner cannot meet in person I have a few suggestions:

a) See if you can find the property using the “owners” name at http://www.blockshopper.com

b) Check the County’s online public tax records to confirm the property's ownership.

c) Drive by the property for clues regarding the property’s habitation.

d) Contact a Realtor® and ask if they can confirm any recent transaction history by the "owner".

If you do meet the "owner" in person ask to "take a quick peek" at their Driver's License to confirm identity (although, if they are a "Scammer" they might a fake one!)

Finally, and most importantly, stay safe and don't let the need for finding a rental overpower you gut intuition!

-Steve
Gustavo - most likely it's a scam...........run in the opposite direction, and NEVER send money to anyone unless you have met them, seen ID, and know they are the real owner.

There are a lot of rental scams online,.

Also, if the price seems too good to be true.....it isn't true!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
Note: anyone who asks for money through western union or says they are out of the country is a BIG red flag. He might not own the home. I see this many times.
People should be very careful with this such Teves Jason. He put " his home" for rent on trulia for $1400 fully furnished and when my wife and I went to see the home on wednsday that was supposably empty because he was in the Philippines, there was a dog inside the home and signs of people living there. We just stopped by again today on Saturday and knocked on the front door and supposably this Matt guy just rented it this week. Why would teves be communicating with me and telling me to send him the deposit and last months rent via western union if the house is already rented?
I would like to know how to report him. Any suggestions?
Be careful. Teves Jason keeps asking people fill out confidential personal information without answering question people asked. I can tell there's something going wrong with this person
There does not appear to be anyone with that name in the State records ... and, like Brian, I'm not aware of any agent with that name, either.
Steve is correct.

I do not know this agent.
Brenda, you can check if someone has a real estate license and who they work for here:

http://www2.dre.ca.gov/PublicASP/pplinfo.asp?start=1

-Steve