Pierre Bedna…, Renter in Lake Forest, CA

delayed offer presentation

Asked by Pierre Bednarchuk, Lake Forest, CA Mon Jun 11, 2012

just mandate my buyer's agent to present an offer to the seller's agent... offer ready to be presented at noon... but the Seller agent won't allow a presentation meeting... reason, he won't have time to present the offer tonight to his clients because he don't want to miss the LA hockey game... so he will accept it tomorrow & present it by 9pm.... Is that smelling fishy or what? may be i am just ignorant & stupid about good profession ethics...

Answers

13
Hello Pierre,

As a Realtor I can appreciate you wanting your Realtor to present your offer in person but I have to say in this world of technology and speed there are very few opportunities I get representing buyers to present in person. Most of the time I am emailing so the agent can forward the offer and the other documents to the seller.
I typically write a letter of introduction on the buyers behalf and ask the buyers to do so as well. Something to so the sellers realize the offer is made by people and it is not just a impersonal piece of paper.

The Stanley Cup hockey game is a big deal for many true fans and some band wagoner's too. I don't know what the level of interest by the seller's agent or the sellers are regarding hockey or tonight's game and neither does your Realtor. If the sellers are big fans and told the listing agent don't bother me tonight then I could see that. If the agent is saying this and the seller is at home waiting for an offer then he may not have his client's best interest coming first. Either way it really doesn't matter as long as your offer gets there as quickly as possible.

Ask your Realtor to submit the offer via email or fax or ?? as quickly as possible. Then if you want to have your Realtor make an appointment to go over the offer with the sellers and their agent great. This way you can start their response time clock. If your offer is a good one and your credentials are in good order, (loan and such) then they should respond as soon as they can. If your offer gets accepted you are going to be negotiating with these sellers further and you want to begin on good terms.

If this is a short sale please dis-regard all of what I wrote above.

Good luck with your search,
Brian Wilon, Realtor
949-933-0852
DRE# 01321478
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
and we are doing it electrically... as my wife is at work and had to sign the offer via e-mail...
Flag Mon Jun 11, 2012
Merci Brian, equity sale... loan pre-qualification in order & ready to go.. conventional loan... and if hockey is a priority...well, i'll be damn as i am a french-canadian, and hockey for us is a religion... so, !!!!
Other things we notice with the agent... we found that house by looking into an open house this week-end... not interesting in that one..so he directed us to another one of his listing.... Bingo !! fits our taste & budget... Strange that neither house he had contract on were even listed in the mls... my agent was quite unhappy toward that issue !!! and let him know about good ethical manner !..
Flag Mon Jun 11, 2012
Hi Pierre,
Today, it is very common to send an offer to the listing agent versus presenting the offer in person. I prefer presenting offers in person it is just not done very often. When the offer is ultimately presented to the seller is beyond the buyers control. Send the offer and hope for the best. By the way, I will also be watching the hockey game tonight.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 11, 2012
me too, jut hope it is worth the commission... because i think my wife is really pissed by now and we are considering to back up even before processing... or go directly meet his broker at their office... he his still an employee there... hard ball is a game that can be played on both side ... have a nice evening sir, thank you for you time taken to answered back to me.
Flag Mon Jun 11, 2012
What in the world is a presentation meeting? Can't the seller read? Don’t you all have email?

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
Report that agent to DRE and realtors association, he owes a duty to the seller!! (all offers must be presented unless special condition is stated before any offer).
Hi Pierre,

Best of luck with your offer! Think you have received very good advice in this forum. With that said, I would ensure that your offer has been emailed to the listing agent with receipt confirmation to guarantee that the seller will receive it in a timely manner. In the current seller's market, unnecessary delays often result in multiple offer situations which is probably not in your best interest. Enjoy the game . . . and just maybe it will get accepted quickly.

David Grbich
Broker - Ventana Coastal Properties
Trulia Pro Agent
949-500-0484
My choice of words may have misled some of you that had take time to answered me... the client don't even know that they have an offer on the table... The agent is the one that prefer to watch the game than to present however he wants to ( person, e-mail or phone )...Considering that this couple are selling for reason of divorce.. i may presume that they are hoping that the sale go fast & promptly.
Pierre, how do you know that the seller doesn't know they have an offer on the table? If you know this for a fact, then understanding how a listing works may help you. When the seller list his/her home for sale it is listed with the BROKER (i.e.; Coldwell Banker, Keller Williams, Remax, etc.) All offers can be submitted to the BROKER. If the agent isn't responsive and you have concerns you may loose out on an opportunity, your agent can look into submitting your offer to the Managing BROKER.
Flag Mon Jun 11, 2012
i will more than willing to let anyone here concern or curious about who that agent was... if my offer do not come thru...or fail. as none of his 2 property we visited this week-end were listed anywhere ....
Flag Mon Jun 11, 2012
You don't want the Listing agent to have a life? I'm just kidding, sort of. We professionals work very crazy hours and there are those times that we can not accommodate a situation. Either because of prior arranges, the seller schedule, emergency, or a number of other reasons we can not be in two places at once.

I would trust that the Listing agent communicated effectively to your agent and would keep them in the loop.

I agree, a personal presentation is favored but we don't always get that opportunity. If the seller is tech savvy and the listing agent has online capabilities, it can be done remotely. You received some good advice about sending the offer over, calling a broker and so forth. Find out which one may be favored by the listing side. Because ultimately, you want them to accept your offer and ticking them off is one way to get to the bottom of the stack.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
Ask if you're agent can present to the seller directly then. If you don't have success with that ask to speak with their office manager and express your concern. Good luck!
being true to the code of ethics, the listing agent needs to present it within 24 hours, however if today at noon was when he originally was going to do it, then he actually has until tomorrow at noon (which would then leave him room for whatever game he is going too). If he wants to present it by tomorrow night at 9:00pm, have your agent call the brokerage and have them present it within the 24 hour timeline.
The listing agent is obligated to present the offer within 24 hours to the seller. Your buyer's agent needs to push harder and remind the list agent his or her responsibilities.
The Seller can dictate any terms that they want:

Quite often, the Banks will give instructions to their Agent, to hold all offers for the first 7 days, and present them all at once.

HUD has a provision that Owner/Occupants have a 30 day window to make offers before investors.

And a Seller may certainly say that they are unavailable to receive offers until 6pm on Monday:
Their reasons are their business and should not have been disclosed. It doesn't matter.

All this objection, funnels down to one Buyer getting a supposed advantage over the rest.
IN the meantime, other offers could come in and leave you in the dust! I would have my agent send an email to the listing agent putting them on notice that if they are too busy, and unwillling to present the offer, that you will call the broker directly and ask him/her to present the offer for you. Since the listing belongs to the broker, it's the broker's obligation to make sure his agent is fulfulling his fiduciary duty to his client (seller.)

If a listing agent does not respond or present an offer within 24 hours, your agent can contact the seller himself. Most agents don't like this tactic, but it is in our Code of Ethics. Hopefully, the seller is not a Kings fan! He might be too busy to listen to an offer.
look that someone is fishing to get full commission instead of a split one on the back of his client
and we are talking about a very fair market price offer here very near the asking price......
Flag Mon Jun 11, 2012