Home Buying in Steiner Ranch>Question Details

Clifford S.…, Home Owner in New York, NY

curious about the real estate in the surrounding areas of austin

Asked by Clifford S. Chu, New York, NY Wed May 14, 2014

I am coming from long island NY, and have heard that traffic is pretty rough there. how bad is it?
in addition, is it possible to get a house that is at least 4br, 3bath, chef kitchen, updated all in this area for 400k?
what are the taxes on houses that sell for app. 400k?
in terms of insurance, how much does homeowners insurance typically cost out there?
was also told that the roof typically gets replaced every few years due to hail?
thanks in advance for the info...

Answers

7
Have you made it out to Austin yet? I have a friend who lives here who is from New York. She says the traffic is nothing here in comparison. It's all relative!

There are many nice homes for still $400,000. You can search for homes with pictures on my site. I have a spatial match on the front page that lets you circle areas, choose by lifestyle desires, etc.

Taxes vary here based on location. Anywhere from 2 to 3% of what the county appraises your property for. There are exemptions to reduce taxes, such as homestead, seniors, disabled, etc. In the end, it will vary greatly based on location and owner. Keep in mine we have no income taxes here.

Homeowners can be high. This varies based on your credit and insurance history. I've found online insurance providers who are very competitive. The hail damage from storms can be covered by your home insurance deductible under many occasions. This minimizes your costs to get a new roof. I have lived here since 2005 and haven't had to pay for a roof yet.... so have to take with a grain of salt.

Cheers,

Ranee Bray
http://www.RaneeBray.com
TCP Realty
512-270-9750
Yes, you can get a lot of house of $400K. However, for that price and amenities, it would be 15 miles from the city center. Taxes are generally 2.41% of appraised value. A bit high, but considering we pay no state income tax in Texas, its a good deal. Homeowners insurance is cheap. I'm in South Austin and I pay $70 a month. My roof is nine years old and just fine. Hail damage does happen, but not more often than any other states. Overall, Texas is a low-cost state to live in. If you have questions about your move, you can call me directly. I moved to Austin three years ago and help many other people like yourself with the transition.

Carrie Hiner
http://www.corehomesaustin.com
512-560-6563
It's true, the traffic is bad. But you can get a very nice house for $400K. It's true that we get a lot of hail storms in Texas; the good news is the insurance companies pay for your roof replacement. I've never paid to replace the roof on my home or any of my rental properties. Austin is great; the people are warm and friendly, and it's very laid back.

Alysse Musgrave
Consumer Advocate/Exclusive Buyer Broker
#1 Best Selling Author of Buying a Home: Don’t Let Them Make a Monkey Out of You!
http://www.HelpUBuy America.com
Alysse@HelpUBuyAmerica.com
I wrote this section for people in your situation: http://www.mybrepartners.com/pick-your-hood.html

Once you've flipped through there and you feel you have a decent grasp on the situation here, feel free to reach out to me with any specific questions. You will definitely want to take into account the lifestyle you are going to want to live because it can be dramatically impacted by the traffic here. Generally speaking though, it is definitely possible to get what you are looking for in that price range. Taxes are 2-3% and I wouldn't pay attention to the roof replacement rumors you've been hearing.

David
You can in some areas, just depends.
The traffic in some areas is trying, I-35, but in general I don't think it's worse that any other metro. I'm from Portland, OR and it's no worse than there.
Sometimes roofs need repaired but I've been here 7 years and never had even damage.
Again, tax rates vary from 2% to 3+%, depends on the area but no state income tax. Steiner Ranch's tax rate is around 2.8%. Let me know if I can be of assistance!

Pam
What areas in particular or do you jsut want general information? Are you considering a move here?

Pam
512.694.5314
If you need to be qualified for a home loan, let's discuss your loan scenario in more detail. Contact me at 800 315 8803 or 512 686 2750. My name is Bart and I have been offering loans since 1987. I am happy to answer your mortgage questions, 7 days a week and review your loan scenario. I can also place you in touch with Realtors that I work with on a regular basis. Until then, I look forward to hearing from you.

Bart Gabe - Lending Nationwide Since 1987

800 315 8803

http://www.bartprequalifies.com

bart@bartprequalifies.com