Home Buying in North Port>Question Details

Joanna, Both Buyer and Seller in 60102

cost of living in Florida

Asked by Joanna, 60102 Tue Feb 9, 2010

Recently a friend of my son made a statement that houses in Florida are great deal but cost of living is high. Is that true? What is expensive in Florida?
Water? Electricity? Food? Insurance? Can anybody help......
thanks
Joanna

Answers

7
Tammy Hayes’ answer
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 23, 2010
Hi Joanna, North Port has some real bargains for homes and is a quite nice growing city. My husband and I moved here from the southeast coast of Florida in 2003, and the one draw back is the job market and the wages are lower here. Water and electricity can run high although we have well water and don't have to pay for water. Insurance can be high depending on how close you are to the coast. I don't see food being much different than other parts of the country.

North Port is the fourth largest city land wise in the state of Florida with around 55,000 population located between Sarasota and Fort Myers. It's a relatively young city so it doesn't have all the amenities yet but doing as much as possible with the current conditions of the economy. Within the city is Warm Mineral Springs a natural spring spa with a year water temperature of 87 degrees. The city is also close to beaches and access to Charlotte Harbor and the Gulf of Mexico with great fishing and water sports. A short drive to Sarasota offers great shopping, dining and the cultural venues that anyone could want without paying the high price of living in the city of Sarasota.

It is a great place to live!

Please contact me at 941-487-5101 with any questions you might have or email me at lyndapennington@prudentialpalmsrealty.com and visit my website at lyndapennington.com.
Homeowners Hazard insurance and flood insurance can be VERY expensive. Water is expensive. Electricity is costly since you have to run your air conditioner 24/7 for most of the year. Even Beer is more expensive because the distributors have monopolies and overcharge the consumers!

Also you have to be careful about extra property taxes in the form of a Community Development District tax. It can add up to an extra $2k to $4k or higher per year on top of the regular overpriced property taxes.
I agree with what others have said.. What is also different here is wages. Compared to the west coast, wages are considerably lower and I believe that is an important factor as well.
Real Estate in Florida is definitely a bargain. Property taxes are lower then many other states. Florida does not have state income tax and the state sales tax is 6%. We do not pay tax on groceries. Fuel prices are at the lower end compared to other states. Many cost can depend on what part of the state you live in.

I would be happy to answer questions about specific areas if you would like.

Karen Cunningham
Keller Williams Cornerstone Realty
Ocala, FL
866-369-4044
Comparatively, Florida is NOT a "high cost of living" state. Electricity could be expensive during the hot summer months- depending on your a/c usage. Hazard insurance is a bit expensive- hurricane and flood in particular. I feel that property values are possibly as low as they have been in years- that is where the real value lies. It seems to make alot of sense- Some folk paid nearly double just a few years ago.

The potential for appreciation is where I see the great possibilities.

Mott Marvin Kornicki, Realtor®
Aventura // Bal Harbour // Sunny Isles
Hi Joanna,

There are some very good deals on properties in Florida as well as many other areas of the country right now. I have lived in FL since 1960 and I am also licensed in the state of Alabama. So it is all relative one thing costs more in Florida, it costs less in Alabama the next thing costs more in Alabama less in Florida, so you get the picture. If you would like to talk specifics please feel free to give me a call or email directly. I would welcome the oppotunity to assist you and/or your son.

Serving Volusia County and the cities of Daytona Beach, New Smyrna Beach, Ormond Beach, Port Orange Ponce Inlet and surrounding areas.

Linda Grey, Realtor, e-Pro
386-478-9776
Ocean Properties & Mgt., inc.
Web Reference: http://www.TheBeachLady.com