Home Buying in Danville>Question Details

Kim, Home Buyer in Danville, CA

considering shadow creek ..but I heard they have many cracks. Any of you have comments about this?

Asked by Kim, Danville, CA Sun Mar 27, 2011

Answers

6
I moved into our home in Shadowcreek in 2007 and had concerns regarding cracks and earth movement. I hired two soils engineers and they both said there were minimal risks of cement cracks for our home. These homes are on cement slabs. We recently ripped up and replaced the flooring on our downstairs slab and found no significant cracks. The engineers told us that any such cracks would probably have shown up in the first several years, and since our home was about 16 years old at the time, we should not develop any cracks on the future ( and we haven't). I understand that in the early 1990's there were some significant slab foundation cracks on a few of the homes on the hill part of Shadowcreek Drive but that those problems were required to be fixed more than a decade ago. The houses in the Bourne area of Shadowcreek are the more newly built homes in the complex and are located in the very back of the west section of the complex. They have more hills around them so I 'm not surprised that they may have needed further retaining wall work. They are very nice houses though with good sized yards.
It is very common for that area, I suggest you get a complete home inspection, including a soil report.
Hi Kim,

3547 Shadow Creek is currently active and examplify your question. The are severe cracks all throughout this home but it is situated on the top of the hill. The condition doesn't apply to every property in that community.

If you are considering a purchase, I'd recommend that you consider a soil inspection to go along with the home inspection.
Web Reference: http://www.josephre.com
Both gentlemen had relevant issues to consider. The underlying factor for both is the highly expansive soils that exist throughout the 680 / 24 corridors. Most large developments push around a lot of dirt to make the nice level lots. This dirt is highly expansive ... which means it absorbs a lot of water in the winter and expands like a sponge, which then dries out and shrinks in the summer heat. Over time this can cause differential settlement on the lot ... and therefore cracks in the home on that lot. This same factor can cause slides when it happens in the hills (whether or not the soil is fill)... this issue comes up even in such established communities as Orinda (in fact the soil condition is so prevalent in Orinda that soils engineers throughout the state often refer to it as the "Orinda Condition"

Shadow Creek suffers from the expansive soils issue with fill on the lots, but for the most part does not have the issue of slides, except in circumstances noted by Kevin below.

If you move forward with a purchase in there do so only with a full home inspection ... and a review of the county records at the building department that deal with any earth movement or extensive settlement in and around the home hou are considering.

Hope that helps

SteveCurtis
Broker / Owner
DRE # 350257
Windermere
925-408-0037
Steve@SteveCurtisHomes.com
Hi Kim,

The homes in this area are built on fairly expansive soils, so settlement cracks are very common. Dame (the builder) had some fairly serious settlement issues with a development further west on Camino Tassajara, but Shadow Creek hasn't been nearly as bad. When purchasing a home, you always want to have a home inspection performed. A home inspection will reveal any serious foundation problems with the home that you're considering purchasing. Settlement issues almost always occur within the first 3 years after the home is built, so a good inspection on a home in Shadow Creek now should reveal any issues.

As you may already know, Shadow Creek is a great value for the money. Price per square foot, it's one of the best values in the area. Have you seen the new listing on Sun Stream Court? I just walked it yesterday and its a pretty nice home. If interested, please forward your email address and I'll send over some pictures. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. Good Luck!

Doug Ledeboer
(925) 683-7052
Web Reference: http://www.dougledeboer.com
Kim,

There was an issue several years ago.

There isn’t any current litigation going on in the HOA , but this is from the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors minutes from November 15, 2005:

:AUTHORIZE the Shadow Creek Homeowners Association to construct twenty-three (23) 20-foot deep steel soldier piers to stabilize the downslope side of Bourne Lane within deed-restricted open space of the Shadow Creek Manor project in the Danville/Tassajara area, as recommended by the Community Development Director. (District III)"

There were several other homes affected that needed extra drainage installed and some beefed up retaining walls. Those issues have been dealt with but there is still somewhat of a "stigma" that keeps the prices lower than comparable homes in Danville.

It can be a opportunity to find great value in Danville.

Let me know if you need anything further, or if there are any homes you would like to take a look at.

Kevin Collins
Web Reference: http://collinsteam.net