Home Buying in Lewes>Question Details

Mencks, Other/Just Looking in Lynchburg, TX

considering buying a second home at the Villages of Red Mill Pond in Lewes, DE. Any opinion or advice? How much are the mthly. water/sewer bills?

Asked by Mencks, Lynchburg, TX Tue Feb 15, 2011

would you consider other areas at the DE beaches a better value?

Answers

7
Since this is a new development, and the water and sewer will be private, there is now way to guess at your costs until the builder constructs the infrastructure. Most times the water will be done by an outside company like Tidewater. The sewer will also be contracted out to a private contractor. This set up is not like city sewer and water.
The builder should have some estimated costs but your useage is key.
Web Reference: http://www.fredsporch.com
Utility bills are based on current resident and lifestyle , number of family members , etc.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Dear Mr. Mencks,
You may want to consider the Bethany Beach area. There are some very reasonably priced properties within walking distance to the beach. Sales of single family homes & townhomes in Bethany were up over 30% last year vs. 2009 and prices are down 18.5% vs. 2009. Great opportunity.
Chris Kavanagh
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Bethany Beach, DE 19930
302-829-9068
chris@5starbeachhomes.com
I like Lewes:
The best value for income producing property would be closer to the beach such as the Ocean House, Pilot Point, Port Lewes. The single family homes in Cape Shores rent very well. Fee amenities available.
The best value for a permanent newer home would be East of Route One in neighborhoods such as Wolfe Runne, Wolfe Pointe, Hawkseye, Breakwater. Fee amenities availabe.
The best value for a townhome/condo 2nd home would be within walking distance to a village center or downtown area such as the Villages of 5 Points or close to 2nd Street in Lewes.
Some of the best beach values can be found in Broadkill, Primehook or Slaughter Beach, more remote but still on the water.
Go to my website or call 302-228-Nick (6425)
I hope this helps.
Nick Carter
Broker Associate since 1990
Web Reference: http://www.228nick.com
What is it that appeals to you about this community? If it is the location on Red Mill Pond, have you considered some of the other more established communities in the same location? Do you want a home that you will own for the long term or is it primarily an investment primarily? Suggest you work with a knowledgeable local buyer's agent to help you make a good purchase decision.
Hello, I wanted to add a little to the conversation because 3 members of my family each own a home in Red Mill Pond which is around the corner from the Villages. My grandfather is a local builder and he was one of the first homes in the neighborhood over 50 years ago. That being said it is a very stable and well established community. The pond is 70 acres large and you can fish or play water sports. There is not a community boat ramp so you would have to go to a neighboring community if you needed access. I am not sure of the water/sewer fees off hand, but there is not an HOA fee and the taxes are around $1000 or less annually. The Villages is a newer community and im sure in time it will be a wonderful place to call home. I would have to pull comps to see how well sales are doing in there.Thanks for looking in Red Mill Pond!-Melinda Ingram Prudential Gallo Realtors 302-227-6101
I am quite familiar with this development, I actually just sold some clients of mine a home there. I am happy to speak to you more about it. There are many questions that come into play when deciding which community is best suited for you. Things like is this a full time residence or a vacation home? Is the social aspect important? Budget and time frame? Red Mill Pond like some others in Lewes, is a lifestyle, so it depends on what you are looking for? If you would like to discuss this and other options, I am happy to assist in any way that I can. Please call me at 302-383-5412