zzzjie, Home Buyer in Andover, MA

condition of septic system

Asked by zzzjie, Andover, MA Mon Jul 15, 2013

The house was built in 1986. The septic system has title V passed. My inspector suggested to further check the condition of the septic system. Is it necessary?

Answers

6
I live right down the street in Tyngsboro and I have a septic system from 1982. The systems are very simple and most of the time, if they pass Title V, they should be fine. I would say that if you are selling the house, the Title V should be more than enough to satisfy any potential buyer. If YOU are the potential buyer and have concerns, you can write an offer (or I can write it for you ;-) that is contingent on a more thorough inspection. You can even put in a request that the seller pay for the additional inspection. It shouldn't be too expensive. Generally they introduce a GPS tracker into the system somewhere and follow it to make sure everything is flowing smoothly.

Please contact me anytime if I can be of any assistance! :-)
It sounds like the septic system should be fine if it passed the first inspection. There's always more you can check, but it's not always necessary. If you are upfront with buyers about the septic system, they can decide whether they want another inspection or not. http://www.martinseptic.net
Flag Thu Apr 23, 2015
My septic is old and works fine. It is filled with rocks and dirt from being dug up and pumped so many times. If your septic passed and works it is up to you. There are many other extra expensive tests you can have done too .
If the system has passed titleV there should be a report on the system. It should pass minimum requirements to pass. Maybe your inspector saw something that he was not happy with. You could perform your own inspection of the system at your own cost.
You paid your inspector follow what he is suggesting. Better safe than sorry. Not sure what they would find if you got a report for the title V and it stated the condition etc. You cold also try the company y that did the inspection as they have to be certified.
Oh Yes!
A septic system, most modern ones anyway, are really simple:
You will have the big tank and two or more leech lines running away from it.
If the tank isn't working properly, that is, enzymes turning solid into liquid, then it can fill up and back up.
If the leech lines are clogged, they can overfolw and the grass above will change color or die.
Maintenance is simple; adding Rid-It or Yeast regularly; you need it to be "regular".
An inspection will dig up the cover to look at the levels in the tank.
Yes, it is a very good idea when buying.
I would get quotes to see how much it would cost to have it checked. It has to be way less expensive to have it thoroughly checked out and have peace of mind then to always have the thought of not having it checked out in the back of your mind. A septic system can be quite costly and if you can avoid some headaches I would.