elkums, Home Owner in Chicago, IL

compare taxes with other for appeal, where do I find this info

Asked by elkums, Chicago, IL Sat Jul 21, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Erik Sachs’ answer
In which county is the property located? If it is Cook County you should hire a tax attorney that specializes in this type of work. I can pass along a name and number of one I have worked with in the past. Most will handle the appeal for around 33% of the savings they can get you. Let me know if you would like to pull comparable sales, I can handle this for you at no cost. The comparable sales will give you an idea of your property value and the potential dollars you may be able to save on a tax appeal.

Let me know.

Erik Sachs
RpV Realty
Cell 773/368-5515
Email esachs@rpvinc.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 22, 2012
Have a Realtor or preferably a Tax Attorney gather the comps and dispute this for you. You can do this yourself, but your chances are higher if the tax specialst does this for you. They speak the same language as the county officials and know the tricks of the trade. Normally they get paid a percentage of your savings. Keep us posted as per your results.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 21, 2012
I agree with Joe. Hire a tax attorney. Let the pros take care of it
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 21, 2012
hire a person who does this for a living..you will not win..they will and they take like 20% of your savings...google Chicago property tax appeal services ..Andrea ...something is a big office
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 21, 2012
You need to find recently sold comparables so an agent is your best bet or hire an appraiser. If you are in a high rise building perhaps the management office has paperwork.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 21, 2012
To compare taxes, go to the tax assessor's office.

But that won't help you. For an appeal, you don't compare taxes. You compare the assessed value of your home to other comparables--homes near you that are similar that have recently sold. You basically say to the tax assessor: "You overvalued my home. Here are comparables. The comparables sold for less. Therefore, my home is worth less than your assessment of it."

If you make a persuasive argument, your assessment will be lowered. That, in turn, will lower your taxes.

Your tax assessor's office should have the specific appeals process online. In addition, there's usually a sheet enclosed with the tax assessment you receive that explains the process.

Hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jul 21, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer