Sean, Home Buyer in 91406

compare Allso Viejo/Laguna Niguel neighborhood with San Juan Capastrino?

Asked by Sean, 91406 Mon Jan 21, 2008

Which one is higher/better in school districts/

which one has lower Crime rates ( even I know it is low but to compare )?

Which one has growth in future for money more than the other?

is there any official website that gives figures the popluation of cities and the race percentages in each city?

Answers

10
Laguna Niguel and Aliso Viejo have higher rated elementary, middle and high schools with about the same crime rates. San Juan Capistrano schools are ranked lower and the demographic is different. Aliso Viejo has Mello Roos tax which you didn't ask about but is an important consideration as it is an additional cost to pay for those schools and amenities. Aliso Viejo has better access to jobs and the 73 freeway corridor leads north to major employment areas. If you work in Newport it is a quick commute. San Juan is also close to the 5 Freeway, but farther south. To search the details: Trulia gives some of these details to go deeper look at: US Census, FBI Crime Database, or just google search "demographics" there are many websites that will detail everything you want to compare.
My ranking for your "growth in future for money more than the other": Laguna Niguel if it is single family and has an ocean view is #1 Aliso Viejo #2
Yes Laguna Niguel has better schools and a lower crime rate. It is an overall better investment. Yes all the information you would like on population/crime/schools is available right here on Trulia! It is listed on every listing in the neighborhood section.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Hi Sean,

As a Realtor we are not allowed by law to say which area has less crime rate, but I will say this. For future growth for your money out of the 3 cities you mentioned, I would say Laguna Niguel West side. Make sure it's SFR, good location and a view. My parents live there and I used to live ther as well. I chose Laguna Niguel over the other 2. Not to crazy about SJC, it's less expensive but can't say exactly what I want to say here.
Hope this helps
What does SFR mean? We are looking in Laguna Niguel and I'm curious what you're referring to. Thanks!
Flag Thu Dec 12, 2013
Hi Sean,

All 3 cities are part of the Capistrano Unified School District. As a former teacher, I can tell you that the district rates well on the whole. As far as the individual schools are concerned, http://www.greatschools.net is a good reference tool. There are test scores and parent feedback on the site as well. I have subbed in the district, taught at a private school in Aliso Viejo, my kids attend a school in Laguna Niguel, and I did my student teaching in San Juan. I can pretty much answer most questions you have that are school related. If you have a particular school you have questions about, please feel free to ask.

As far as crime rates and demographics are concerned, Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel are more closely alligned. For value and resale, you might consider the statistics from DataQuick. In Aliso Viejo, the median home price was $373,000 in May 09 and $419,000 in May 2010, for an increase of 12%. In Laguna Niguel, the median home price was $525,500 in May 2009 and $501,250 in May 2010, for a decrease of 5%. In San Juan, the median pice was $285,000 in May 2009 and $450,000 in May 2010, for a 58% increase. Of course this information is all relative considering right now, home prices in San Juan range from $89,000 for a 1 bedroom condo to $30 Million for an equestrian estate.

For more specific information, please do not hesitate to call me.

Good Luck!!

Missy Wiesen
Realty Benefit
949-887-6644
email: missyrealtor@cox.net
all 3 areas have there plus side. Price range may be a big factor. Size and age would be the other.
I have lived in Laguna Niguel since 1982 it is great and easy north and south.
San Juan horses may be something of interest.
San Clemente the furthiest south is a great place for ocean views. North San Diego county is also quiet to get to.

Michael Benninger
Sean: Good question about comparing Aliso Viejo ... Laguna Niguel ... or San Juan Capistrano ... for possible buying of a home.

I recommend that you consider more than demographics and crime rates. Take a look at geography of each, how many miles from the ocean, what is the climate, whether it is dry or wet, how many days of rain, whether there are geology changes in neighborhoods of interest.

If you are interested to visit about this, please let me know. Check out our BEST WEB SITE FOR PROPERTY SEARCHING AT
http://www.buyersexplorehomes.com

Harrion K. Long, Realtor and broker, Coldwell Banker Previews
Comparing these would be like comparing a tomato to a pumpkin. Not even close. My belief is Laguna Niguel wins out everytime. Just take a drive through each city and it will become very evident which is the one for you.
I live within 10 minutes of all 3 areas. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the San Juan Capistrano area and Aliso Viejo/Laguna Niguel (these 2 aren't hugely different in my opinion, though Laguna Niguel is very well known for having many "well to do" familes and is more family life focused. Aliso has a greater amount of young professionals/singles, though of course plenty of families too.)

Though there are basically no "bad areas" of Aliso/Laguna... there are definitely several low income, seedier areas of San Juan. More property crime, pettty vandalism. My unprofessional opinion is that value will appreciate better in Aliso and Laguna. Aliso and Laguna have better schools as well, in my opinion. I have a teacher acquaintence and they've mentioned that subbing in San Juan (like in Tustin) can be a little depressing. (Lots of kids with parents with low English, so the kids have a hard time of it.) But then, that's just the public schools. There are nice private ones in San Juan - and, like I said, there are nice areas with families who find excellent schools to send their kids to.

I don't want to get too down on San Juan. The Mission is beautiful, and some parts of it are gorgeous. It has more "flavor" than Aliso/Laguna areas - which are very clean and pleasantly bland. And all 3 are still Orange County -- the rate of "violent crime" is less than the US average for all.

I pulled this up from BestPlaces online..

Race in San Juan Capistrano, CA
78.14% of people are white (includes hispanic), 0.83% are black, 2.18% are asian, 1.03% are native american, and 17.53% claim 'Other'.

33.74% of the people in San Juan Capistrano, CA, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 66.26% are non-hispanic).

San Juan Capistrano, CA Income and Salaries
The San Juan Capistrano median household income is $74,524.

San Juan Capistrano public schools spend $4,845 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $6,058. There are about 22 students per teacher in San Juan Capistrano.

In comparison --

Race in Aliso Viejo, CA
76.61% of people are white (includes hispanic), 2.38% are black, 11.62% are asian, 0.49% are native american, and 9.07% claim 'Other'.

13.11% of the people in Aliso Viejo, CA, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 86.89% are non-hispanic).

Aliso Viejo, CA Income and Salaries
The Aliso Viejo median household income is $89,451.

Aliso Viejo, CA, schools spend $5,169 per student. There are 22 pupils per teacher.

Race in Laguna Niguel, CA
82.61% of people are white (includes hispanic), 1.24% are black, 7.83% are asian, 0.30% are native american, and 7.63% claim 'Other'.

11.38% of the people in Laguna Niguel, CA, claim hispanic ethnicity (meaning 88.62% are non-hispanic).

Laguna Niguel public schools spend $5,273 per student. The average school expenditure in the U.S. is $6,058. There are about 22 students per teacher in Laguna Niguel.

The Laguna Niguel median household income is $92,769.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 7, 2008
Hello Sean,

I am new here and thought I might give you a couple other links to look at for information on the two neighboring cities. Here are some quick general impressions from someone who lives and works in teh area:

Both are very similar as far as growth and pricing, one difference is many of the Aliso Viejo homes have Mello Roos tax assessment and none of the home in Laguna Niguel do.
Most of Aliso Viejo is newer, built after 1989 and Laguna Niguel was built up in the mid 1980's.
In both cities the schools are great and there are some homes in Aliso Viejo that the kids belong to the Laguna Beach school district, also very good schools. Some homes in Laguna Niguel attend Aliso Viejo schools.
Demographics in both cities seem about the same but I would guess that Aliso Viejo has a bit lower median age.

Check this site for area information for Aliso Viejo: http://www.city-data.com/city/Aliso-Viejo-California.html

Check this site for area information for Laguna Niguel: http://www.city-data.com/city/Laguna-Niguel-California.html
I don't believe these are official sites but there is quite a bit of good general information. Also you can look at http://www.greatschools.net for schools all across the nation.

Right now there are many opportunities for buyers and if you are thinking of leaving the Valley and moving to Orange County please consider giving me a chance.

Thanks for the opportunity.
Brian Wilson, Realtor
Web Reference: http://www.brian4homes.com
Hello Sean. For crime statistics, the best source I've found is the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Report. It has a breakdown for all major crimes by city. You can find this information on-line at http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_08_ca.html.

For information about the population of each city, the best source I've found is the U.S. Census. The most comprehensive version is for 2000, and can be found at factfinder.census.gov.

You can also find this information on each city's website.
The City of Aliso Viejo can be found at: http://ci.aliso-viejo.ca.us/
The City of Laguna Niguel website can be found at: http://www.ci.laguna-niguel.ca.us/
The City of San Juan Capistrano website can be found at: http://www.sanjuancapistrano.org/

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me directly of I can be of further assistance.

Warmest Regards,
~Amanda Wheeland
Real Estate Broker & Lawyer