Home Buying in 07882>Question Details

Shavon Wade, Home Buyer in

can you use section 8 to buy a house?

Asked by Shavon Wade, Tue Aug 12, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Shavon:

Yes, you can use Section 8 to buy a house. I just helped a long time Section 8 renter buy a house under the guidance of the lady at Marin Housing Authority who worked with my clients for the past years.

Not only were my clients able to use the section 8 voucher to pay part of the mortgage, Marin Authority has their own inspector to come out and inspect the house as well as study the area to make sure this is a good area for their client.

This and the fact that the house was a short sale were the only reasons why my clients were able to own a home in Marin. They are a wonderful, hard working couple with three very accomplished kids. They were ecstatic.

One of the most satisfying sales I have ever done!

This happened in Marin, CA; but I heard since Section 8 is a federal program, it should have similar rules everywhere.

Good Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
Glad to hearr it is possible. Should i call local realtors and ask how i should proceed and get qualified
Flag Wed Mar 27, 2013
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
Can a section 8 client purchase a VHDA Home
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 5, 2013
where and who i should ask to help buy a house and use sec 8. Sacramento county do not have budget to process paper work for move in move out people.
How could help me to buy house ? I am loost i do not know whom ask.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
Where I can find person in Sacramento who help me to buy a house with vaucher sec8?
May help me housing some specialist who is there can be .
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 4, 2013
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 16, 2012
Only if you are on disability
Flag Sat Dec 1, 2012
Do you know which are the areas in Los Angeles to buy a house under the section 8?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 27, 2012
I'v had sec 8 for bout 7 yrs now. i v lived in the same house for 5 1/2 yrs ... soon i will be getting married. Will I loose my section 8 assistance? I dont know what to xpect.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 5, 2012
Hi ,
I recieve section 8 and looking to move in the location of tennesse and how do I go about
transfering? I am also interested to finding someone to direct me how I and what I have to do
to buy a home through section 8
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 14, 2012
I am in the process of buying a home on land contract. I receive section 8, the house I am planning on getting needs a lot of work but the agencies where I live supply state aide to fix windows, plumbing and electric and foundation. It will take me a few months to fix the house so I can live there, will I have to give my section 8 up because I have to pay for the home I am in, while I am fixing the one I would like to buy? can you please give some helpful advise?
Thank you from Ohio
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 15, 2012
Sylvia, you're correct the rules are similar elsewhere. I'm familiar with the process in Cleveland, DC, and Atlanta.

The key to getting this to work is to find a knowledgeable case worker involved with the process. As Corey mentioned, the PHA is a great place to find one of those case workers. S/he will help guide everyone else involved in the transaction through all of the paperwork (which I'm sure that Sylvia can affirm there's a lot of it). Some communities (including the 3 above) also have various non-profit agencies that specialize in providing this help. They're a great resource for us investors and low income buyers alike, because they pair the ones with the properties with the ones with the needs.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 20, 2010
I'm in atlanta cannula guide me to the place I need to see about buying a house on section 8
Flag Tue Jul 9, 2013
Jacky I don't believe it willbe allowed. Here are the issues. In order to use the Section 8 income for qualifying for a mortgage, the income has to be guaranteed for 3 more years. I think the state of Virginia wouldn't go along with that since you will be residing in New Jersey.
Another possible problem would be your employment income if any. I presume you work in the Virginia area thus it would be hard to believe you would be commuting to work from New Jersey. This point may not apply to you though.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 8, 2010
Can you help me I am from Ohio. I have section 8. I am planning on buying a home on land contract, but it needs a lot of work maybe 3 months. First can I use my section 8 for this purchase and second will I lose my section 8 because I have to pay the rent here and the mortgage their?
Flag Thu Mar 15, 2012
Can I purchase a house (belonging to relative in NJ) with my Section 8 from Virginia
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 8, 2010
Shavon you absolutely can do but you have to speak with the PHA (public Housing Authority) regarding the way they operate their program. In order to use the money for qualifying for a mortgage the Section 8 money has to be guaranteed for 3 years after you close on your home. If you have any further question please feel free to call me, I'm local
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 15, 2008
Hi Paul:

There was absolutely no issue with the lender.

Bank of America is the lender for my clients. Jodi Fischer (415) 897-9103 is the VP at BofA Mortgage division who helped my client with the loan http://www.northbaybiz.org/directory/index.html .

She worked nicely with Marin Housing Authority http://www.marinhousing.org/housingOpp.htm and is a big part in getting this through.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 13, 2008
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
Try to contact your local housing authority or the NJ Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 13, 2008
Sylvia, can you tell us what issues were involved from the lender. And which lender?

I'm a member of NAEBA (National Association of Exclusive Buyer Agents) (http://www.naeba.org) and this kind of information is something we all look for.

Paul Howard
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 13, 2008
That is a very good question. Section 8 Housing, or vouchers, are typcially designed for affordable housing through rentals only. This excerpt has been copied and pasted directly from the Housing and Urban Development Website, which governs Section 8 Housing...

Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies(PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program. Under certain circumstances, if authorized by the PHA, a family may use its voucher to purchase a modest home.

For more information, you can visit the website directly at http://www.hud.gov.
Web Reference: http://www.hud.gov
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 12, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer