Marisol Avel…, Home Buyer in Jersey City, NJ

can you turn your home into a bed and breakfast?

Asked by Marisol Avellanet, Jersey City, NJ Sun Oct 10, 2010

I want to buy a home in the poconos area as my home,and also earn a living, and to help pay for the home, by turning it zoning permitting, as a bed and breakfast,

Answers

6
I actually had the same question. My friend and I were considering buying a home and creating a bed and breakfast out in the country. We think it's a great idea, but didn't know if we could do it. Did you find anything to help you?

Brooke Bowen | http://dreambb.com
First thing to do is see what the zoning is for the particular area for the home you want to purchase. You'll have to go in front of the zoning board. Make your purchase contract contingent on zoning. I always suggest that one hire an Attorney for help in accomplishing your goal
Flag Thu Aug 28, 2014
Whether or not it is practical to convert a home into a bed & breakfast goes far beyond zoning issues. There are handicapped regulations, fire regulations, safety requirements, income and sales tax requirements, etc. etc.

There are huge rewards for being involved in a service business such as this but before making a committment it would be recommended to obatain a good appreciation for exactly what is involves prior to making a final decision and purchasing a home.

Dear Marisol,
Buying just any home and turning it into a B&B may not be practical as you already know. There are zoning restrictions in many areas. There are home business zoning and a B&B may be different zone than a Salon home business. There are some areas where a B&B could be successful than others and looking at those areas are the best place to start your search. Are you very familiar with the Pocono's? If so where are you thinking you might like your home and business to be? You can contact me and I'll help you find your home (570-242-8518).
Ed
Well, I would suggest that you find an agent that handles that area. There are many agents listed here that you can email to if you click on "find a pro" above, or just google real estate in the poconos! The reason why I think that it your first step is because if you find an interesting house, you want to have an agent that truly understands your goals and needs! You will need to make it a "contingency" on your contract, that you will be able to get the zoning you need for your business endeavor. Perhaps your agent can find a house that is already in a business district, that would be much easier to get going quicker. You might want to make a trip to the area and talk to city or county planning departments to find out more about zoning restrictions. There's sure to be a lot online too. Most towns, cities and counties now have their zoning ordinances and building codes online. Good luck! Terry Bell, Realtor, Santa Rosa, CA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
Anna's answer is great, and I would add talking to others in that line of work to find out if the home has the location and/or layout that would make for an appealing bed and breakfast. If you don't have appeal, you don't have a lot going for you.

Kevin
If zoning allows and all required permits can be obtained, yes--also consider consulting with an attorney for all related legal questions.