Home Buying in Lake Pointe>Question Details

Rama, Home Buyer in Lake Pointe, Springf...

can you tell me how much school district really matters in buying home ,we have a 4 yr old and we are planning for 4 bedroom with pool.Any advice?

Asked by Rama, Lake Pointe, Springfield, IL Tue Jul 6, 2010

I am sure you have found a perfect realtor to work with in your homebuying journey. If you haven't we are professionals and would be more than happy to help. I know when I was looking at changing schools for my four children I was concerned about the school district we were moving to. The report cards are great to read but I think you have to honestly call and set up an appointment & go to the elementary schools and see their facilities and talk one on one with the administration. Each person fits in differently in each community. You can tell quite a bit about the way you will be treated in a district by the administrations. I had a great talk with our new principal and I have been very pleased with the school district we chose. Ask to observe a few minutes in a classroom or even from the outside hallway you can tell quite a bit.

Just from parent to parent.. You can't ever be too careful with your babies.

If you need any assistance please feel free to call or email me!

Thank you
Lana Schweitzer
217-698-8800 or email at lana@simplyrealestateco.com
Your question revolves around education and lifestyle choice. Though a good school district may influence some buyers, the all-around picture of what lifestyle you want for your family to live in is just as important. For example, why live in a cramped home that affects the whole family, day in and day out, just to be able to go to one school or the other. Outside activities and the ability of your child to apply themselves, regardless of the school system could mean more. Choose a lifestyle with a home that has a pool and your 4 year old could become the next Olympic Gold Medalist in swimming. The best school in the world may not offer that.

Jerry Grodesky Broker
United Country Farm and Lake Houses
School districts with the best "report cards" do not necessarily provide the best education, as Anna said, what is good for some may not be good for others.
However, homes that are located in a school district that has a good reputation are better for resale value. It may not necessarily add to the market value (sometimes it may) but it will definitely add appeal for people who pay attention to such things.
School Districts are a matter of preference--it really will depend on your wants and needs for your child when it comes to education, other school activities, etc.; keep in mind that opinions are often subjective and what may be good for one, may not necessarily be the case for another.
Which school district one lives in has been an important point for many of my clients. Most people want the best education for their children as possible. By reviewing the state report card of each school district one can then better determine the best school for your children.

Generally one determines the district by researching the information on each school's report card posted at the Illinois State Board of Education http://www.isbe.state.il.us/research/htmls/report_card.htm . After the preferred school district (s) are selected, then a house search can be done in those areas.

Please contact me at 217-725-3154 or gjohnson3154@yahoo.com for additional assistance.

Galen Johnson CRS, GRI
Johnson Real Estate
The importance of school district is a personal preference. For buyers with school-age children or grandchildren looking for a specific school district, it can be very important for various reasons. They may prefer to stay in their current district or may be looking for particular classes or cirriculum offered. For others, it may make no difference at all. If school district is important to you - there is a website with 'school report card' information for all Illinois schools - http://www.isbe.state.il.us/

The Lake Pointe subivision in Springfield is in the Chatham school district. There is a home listed in this subdivision that has 5 bedrooms - but no pool. There are two listed in the North Lake Shore subdivision, which is just east of Lake Pointe, that do have inground pool. One of those has 3 bedrooms, the other has 4.

I am a full time agent and partner at The Real Estate Group in Springfield. I would appreciate the opportunity to work with you to find your new home and would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Please let me know how I may be of assistance to you.

Tina Davidson
Partner, e-Pro, GRI
The Real Estate Group
3701 W Wabash
Springfield, IL 62711