Butch4655, Home Buyer in Lancaster, PA

can you break your contract with your agent?

Asked by Butch4655, Lancaster, PA Fri Jul 26, 2013

I have a 1yr. contract with about 5wks. left on it . was not from day one, first meeting 20mins. late! called to see a house on thurs. returned call Monday, oh ya he don"t work weekends,an Fridays are also aweekend,,, help going crazy thank you.

Answers

10
Annette Lawrence’s answer
If I get this right you are 11 months into a 12 month contract and you are just now expressing your dissappontment! You've already eaten the cake!
-
Instead of turning to strangers on the internet, you need to have a meet up with your agent and have an actual conversation. Printing and showing the question would be a good starting point if you don't know where to start.
-
You will find incredible things happen when folks CHOOSE to communicate. But, for some reason, we fall to the temptation to spew vitriol to assuge are perception of neglect.
-
No one wants to work with othes who are unhappy. This will prove true for your agent also. Talk to your agent, give 5 days to fix, the keep or dismiss.
that's it he knows how I been , and I did talk to him he knows i'am not happy .every time it's sorry than, same old thing I talked him about this, he said to bad your still under contact , I know I possibly lost one house because of his timeing and I didn't know until about 6mos. in that he does"t work on wkends
Flag Fri Jul 26, 2013
This is butch4655, Two days ago I have called my agent, He is his own company. I told them I was not happy with him. And say that I wanted to drop them as my agent. Also I have ask my agent for a copy of my contract witch I still have not revived. Witch he said he would email , three days later still no contract. So I am still not sure when it expires. After my conversation with him, he said as far as he is concern HE IS STILL MY AGENT!! and I am still under contract........... So I guess I have to stop looking for a house, for the next five to six weeks............ Thanks for all your help so far!!
Have your attorney send the agent a letter that you do not have a binding contract.. He did not deliver the signed agreement to you. Report the agent to the real estate commission for malpractice.
Flag Mon Oct 20, 2014
If you contact me I may have a way of finding out your end date.

Mark Rebert, REALTOR®
Prudential Homesale Services Group
150 North Pointe Boulevard
Lancaster, PA 17601
(717)742-0778 Direct
(717)560-9100 Office
(717)569-7943 Fax
http://www.lancohomesale.com
mrebert@prudentialhomesale.com

Licensed in Pennsylvania
Flag Wed Aug 14, 2013
On a side but lighter note, what type of of buyers agent doesn't work on weekends?!?! I must be working with the wrong buyers, you know the ones that have jobs during the week and can only look at houses on the weekend.
I am so sorry to hear about this! You may want to speak to the broker at the office you are working with. All agents work differently when it comes to buyer agency contracts. Please let me know if I can be of help.

Daniele Seldomridge
Prudential Lancaster RE
717-291-9101
717-669-7894
I am going to just take a guess here and say that it is likely due to the fact that you had a 1 year contract, it is almost up... and you have yet to purchase. So you mean to tell me this agent has been showing you things for almost an entire year? Ouch...
Take a look at the contact, is should have a paragraph about cancelling or ending the contract. If not, Tell him you you would like to be released from the contract. "Most" agents will allow you to do so. If he says no, call the broker. At that point he knows your not going to be buying a house with him anyway.

A contract can be ended with signatures from both parties. Realtors are service providers, if you hire a lawn service and they don't now the lawn, your entitled to end the contract.

Or...you've come this far, stick it out another 5 weeks and find a new agent.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.
For Pennsylvania, ONE way is to use the Change to Buyer Agency form, "CBA". It is a standard form and allows changing agents or changing the ending date of the contract to whatever date you choose. The agent needs to sign it to but what agent wants to work with someone unhappy with them. It is just bad business to force the buyer to stay.

Going forward, the first mistake you now know is signing a contract in the first place, or signing it for more than a day. I am sure you were not given a choice. Most new agents are trained to require it but many experienced agents choose to use it or skip it. I never make clients sign a contract until we are ready to write an offer on a home unless they ask me for one. People want to work with someone they like and if I am not the right fit, I want them to find the right person. I find almost no one leaves so the contract is pointless until it is time to buy and then required by law according to what I was taught. In the past 8 years, I can only think of 2 people that changed. My personal thought is the contract is more of a scare tactic for the buyer so they don't leave. It is really a dog with no teeth as it can be dissolved if you are not satisfied.
I agree with Annette. If your not happy have a conversation with the agent and if that bears no fruit, request they allow you to move on. If you are not comfortable speaking with the agent, speak to their broker and request a new agent represent you or grant you a release from your agency agreement. Otherwise spend the next few weeks interviewing a few agents so you can hit the ground running when your contract expires. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have. Give me a call anytime at 717-606-9075. Visit http://www.mylancasterhomefinder.com for more information.
Have a great day!
Curtis Wagner
I think that communication plays a big roll here. If you're not happy with your agent, talk to him/her. You don't have to tell him/her that you don't like him/her but, be sincere and express your concerns. A good agent/client relationship is one of the keys to a good process. Good luck!
Good question, tough answer.
Call me and we can talk.
717-575-6157