Home Buying in Rockville>Question Details

Pamela Cagui…, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

can we rent a 2br apartment even without ssn? Our parents will provide the monthly payment and a cosigner is willing to help us.

Asked by Pamela Caguiat, Pittsburgh, PA Sun Apr 14, 2013

Answers

3
As agents we have fiduciary responsibility to the landlord/owner of properties that are listed with our broker office. A rental application requires certainly personal details and omitting ssn and other necessary details would certainly be too risky for the property owner. It is always best to follow the path of correct business practices to avoid complications later down the road.
I think it would be difficult to rent without providing a ssn. You might find some kind, compassionate individual who, after hearing why you are not providing a ssn, would be trusting and agreeable to rent to you with your parents as co-signers. However, for me as an agent, I would not list a rental property and rent it without being able to do a credit check, feel that the prospects were not hiding something and feel comfortable that the tenants will be a good risk. My fiduciary responsability is to my cllent, the landlord.
What is the reason for not giving SSN? Anything is possible but I will think ten times before renting to a person who doesn't want to disclose required information. I used to trust people and rented my properties on parent's co-signatures but in EACH case they trashed the apartments and parents could not come up with rent even. You can take them to court (most of the time out of state) and get the judgement but can you collect the judgement? Is it worth it?

It's better to get a good, hard working tenant who cares about his/her credit score and lower the rent or give last month free.
Agree 100% about lower rent for good credit tenant
Flag Tue Apr 16, 2013