Home Buying in Clifton>Question Details

Atk, Home Buyer in Clifton, VA

can seller and buyer have different dates for closing?

Asked by Atk, Clifton, VA Sun May 24, 2009

Answers

17
Jefferson’s answer
Oh gosh. I really don't know why I'm even getting involved but ... here I go with my 2 cents. Perhaps it's the reindeer or the vast quantities of artisan estate ice wine we're consuming while on vacation in Oregon. Whether my commentary is even worth this is debateable - as per usual.

Yes, we can all agree that the post is a pretty old one. I personally feel that the question was "asked and answered" by more than one local agent, and back last May. The person who posted the question is long since gone and hasn't posted since June.

I would likely agree that there might be times when a "question is timeless", and therefore giving it a "bump", even well afterwards, might possibly provide some NEW viewers, but not ATK who has moved on past this.

Now ... granted, it would seem that there might be one or more posts that have since been deleted. And therefore, my impressions are perhaps missing part of the context?

But I'm sure wondering what possible value this thread is now supposed to provide to any new Trulia viewers? My HUMBLE suggestion, is "Hey guys - would you ALL please consider deleting ALL your posts on this thread". All of you are, in MY opinion, entirely above this "snarkiness". In that regard I AM the exception here, as the one who will stoop to ANY LOW for a mere TU. But that's MY reputation and I will do whatever is necessary to maintain it as such.

You guys are a major part of the reason that Trulia IS a GREAT resource for buyers/sellers. This thread ... isn't helping that ...

Yours trulia,

Jeff
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 29, 2009
Naw, took a small vacation travel thingee.....Seems Trulia can't figure out out to remove the Badge so guess I just give in and post meaningless questions, blogs and answers, Level 3 here I come Yea!!!!

You realize my last two comments have the same value point wise as 2 TU's?..Why strive for TU's when I can just repeat everyone else's one line responses?

Snarky will be worth a TU every time I post it lol
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 29, 2009
Debbie - I still love the term "snarky", just not directed at you.

My interactions with you, here on Trulia (the only one's I've had), have always been pleasant and enjoyable. I have gone back over several months of your comments on Trulia, and haven't found anything that I find to be out of line, objectionable or snarky. No, I don't agree.

We've all had "sharp interactions" with some here online, myself included. I'm sure there are some comments of mine buried here on Trulia, Zillow and Active Rain that some would objectionable or snarky.... but as with you, I think the body of my conversation here has been pleasant and professional.

I'm not sure what Deborah is objecting to, perhaps she's just had a bad day. I don't see anywhere that she's identified you, nor made it obvious that she's talking about you.

But I don't really think it's appropriate to continue this conversation, here in public view, and should be taken private. I think both ends of this conversation should be deleted, and taken private.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 28, 2009
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Deborah has "earned" all the "neat little icons" under her name, by providing high quality answers to consumers questions for what I believe has been close to three years.

... and there's nothing "location specific" about this question, that would preclude an agent from New Jersey, or Illinois from being fully capable of answering it.

(btw... love the term "snarky")
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2009
Oh good, an example of Mayors guiding new members lol.......
~~~~~~~
LOL... I thought you were hiding in the woodwork... hoping that by not "commenting", your VIP badge would eventually drop off.
Debbie,

I made no reference to you nor did I identify the location of the referral. My discussions are never to identify a specific person publicly, and I will not publicly declare any identify here.

My inbox reflects correspondence from others who thought the posts pertained to them. The tone in emails I received was an array of hostility, justification and regret, sometimes in the same email. I did privately confirm for a few people that the posts were not about them without providing any further identification.

You have the right to be proud of any awards you receive. I never take issue with awards or designations earned. In my posts, I opposed double standards.

Everyone,

Anyone who is trying to guess who I was discussing, it is not important. The person could be male or female. Since I read posts from all over the country, it could be anywhere. I hold licenses in multiple states, and have access to a dozen MLSs. My referral could be anywhere.

I could point to Trulia posts that are 2 and 3 years old, as well as recent posts that illustrate the same patterns. It is not the who that is important, it is the what and how.

In the past, I have written a few, “Come on, guys, can we play nicely together?” Unfortunately, I can recall a few times in the past when appeals for consideration (written by anyone) were ridiculed and trampled by a few community members who were simply intent on pitching crafty insults. Since subtle pleas previously failed, this cycle I was brash to make the point clear.

What we say can have a profound impact on how people are made to feel. And, that applies to all of us. It might be wise for all of us to consider how we would feel if the tables were turned before we hit the submit button.

Deborah “Deb” Madey - Broker NJ/FL
Peninsula Realty Group - New Jersey
732 530-7755 Main
732 530-6350 Direct
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Alan - just curious..............do you still "love" the word snarky, because goodness knows it's been applied to my comments and conversations so manyf times already on this thread, is becoming rather tiresome, and I really take personal offense at it.................not to mention it makes the person calling me those names not appear very nice.
I am being accused of "damaging" my reputation here on Trulia? That's news to me.

You have interacted with me numerous times on various threads............I had no idea that my image was so tarnished.....that I have engaged in "mud slinging".........where and when did all this happen??.......do you agree with that description of my conduct on trulia?

Referring a client to me would have been an "embarrassment" if they had read my posts here? Is this the Twilight Zone? When did I turn into an ogre?
Mocking me because I list my achievements on my profile resume? Achievements I have worked hard for, and am proud of. over the years?

If those comments aren't mean spirited, I don't know what is....and coming from someone who is supposed to be representing trulia makes them even more disappointing.
Glenda,

You were the catalyst, not the focal point. The nerve was struck when I saw a competent Realtor with a long history of success damage his/her reputation here on Trulia by engaging in snarky conversations (that had nothing to do with you.) Nevertheless, thank you for removing your post, although I detect lingering sarcasm.

The nerve was struck when I could not refer to a Realtor that would have been on my radar for this buyer. Since making a referral is a reflection on me, I would have been embarrassed had my buyer referral ever found his/her posts here on Trulia. There are several reasons why certain buyers do not engage specific Realtors, but a public display of mud slinging is a really sad reason this agent lost a client. That is what struck a chord.

I wrote my post as a hope to a wake-up call, not with a mean spirit.

Deb Madey
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 27, 2009
Glenda - i am not at all offended by your comments, even though I have a vip badge. Then again, I am answering questions at the very same rate I always have......nothing new in my freguency or selection of questions.

I think it's a bone of contention for many on trulia when they see old , outdated questions answered................especially when they were covered at the time the question was answered, and also especially when the question was one that was time sensitive, such as a closing date. Non- answers or padding responses just to get a higher tally of points is a silly game...and that very topic has been discussed on another thread quite recently.

I am not suggesting that's what Deb did.......but is it noticeable when somoene doesn't have any vip badge, and then achieves level 3 in less than 2 weeks.

In the end - all of this is a silly game..........whoever wants to play it , is welcome to.

Alan - looks like you rode in on a white horse in deb's defense.............how gallant!

By the way - deb - just because you mentioned it - there is no other response that I saw here here that activated this thread other than yours.

My opinion is, trulia has created this silly ranking system..........so everyone will deal with it in thier own way.
In the scheme of life - this is very low in importance.

So, Glenda, nothing anyone says here would ever offend me, unless it was an outright lie.

Have a great day!
First, I profusely apologize to anyone I may have offended regarding the "neat little icons" - clearly, they mean something. Second, my "snarky and objectionable" comment was most certainly out of line - Ms. Madey was trying to educate me about Virginia real estate laws and I failed to appreciate that fact. In the future, I'll keep my iconless comments to myself - they certainly can't be taken seriously. And I've removed the offending comment.
AKT,
I apologize for going off topic. I thought about puttig these thoughts in a blog post, but decided to travel the course set with it's current twists and turns.

GLENDA,
Other responses provided valuable and correct information, but did not clarify that a split closing is not a closing and did not clearly provide when that exact moment of closing is defined. My answers were guided by the federal laws that govern settlements, HUD statements, and RESPA. There was also another post on the thread yesterday, which revived the thread and prompted me to participate on this thread. That missing link might have helped you understood the sequence better, and why I added that clarity. If my attempts to clarify failed you, or offended you, please know that was not my intent. Your comment was the first post I ever read of yours. It was the catalyst, but not the focal point of the message below.

EVERYONE,

Certainly, many questions are determined by local expertise. I see out-of-area posters answer questions in my local area, both correctly and incorrectly. Unfortunately, local does not guarantee accuracy. I have seen locals incorrectly answer a question only to be corrected by an out-of-area poster. In those instances, I can only say “Thank You” to the out-of-area respondent who had nothing to gain, added value, and helped a consumer. I don‘t catch every question in my local area. Hurray, for all people who provide good information.

In 2 different locally taught short sales class that I attended recently, I heard questions from dozens of Realtor attendees. Several were managing short sale listings, and were absolutely and completely clueless about what they were doing. My heart ached for the sellers, who were potentially devastating circumstances. These sellers unknowingly trusted their fate to real estate licensees who did not know what they were doing. Did they assume the agent is qualified because they are local? I questioned whether this was a licensee failure of the fiduciary owed to the seller. For the clients of these Realtors, I hope they find a forum like Trulia Voices, ask questions and get answers. Note to consumers: There are many Realtors knowledgeable in short sales. If you need to sell short, find one of them. They are out there!

At 3 national training classes for short sales that I attended this year, some of the attendees were very experienced and their contributions during discussions were equally as valuable as the instructors. If these instructors or experienced attendees were to come on a Trulia thread on short sales, should we tell them to go away because they were not in the right area? Should I not listen to them at a national convention because they are unqualified?

I actively encourage Realtors everywhere to participate on Trulia Voices and Trulia Pro. I hear Realtors and consumers both tell me that they became discouraged and even disgusted when they went on Trulia Voices or other forums and found snarky and objectionable conduct. What someone says about others often says more about themselves.

I needed to refer a buyer client 2 weeks ago and a Realtor who is very visible on Trulia works the target market for this buyer. I chose not to refer to that Realtor due to the person’s snarky online comments, even though the Realtor is highly experienced. Among the snide remarks I read, were several shots at other Trulia community members. Some, but not all, of the snarky comments were geared toward the topic of Trulia badges or awards, with self-proclamation of him/her not needing such recognition. Ironically, the same Realtor loudly boasts up front and center on their personal website about how pleased and proud they are of their numerous awards; emphasis numerous. Quite a bit of space is allocated on their personal site to making sure any website visitor is instantly in tune with their award status. Additionally, the Realtor blows a mighty loud horn on their website about professionalism and integrity. My referral for an 800K buyer who is highly committed to purchase within 30 days went to another Realtor in the same town. I suspect that Trulia poster does not realize that other people may also be put off by snarky attacks, and his/her attempt to self-elevate with put-downs on others actually hurts him/her more than the people they attack.

In any field, professionals will disagree on some points. It is my goal to always provide my positions while concurrently remaining respectful. I do hope that anyone who is repeatedly posting snarky comments on Trulia takes a moment to reflect on the image they paint of themselves, and on our profession.

Best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year. Perhaps we can all make an extra effort to extend peace and respect in the New Year.
Deb
Atk - you asked this way back in May.........hopefully by now you agreed on a closing date....... have already moved in, and enjoyed your first Christmas in your new home !!!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 26, 2009

As others have responded, the buyer and seller can sign their paperwork on different days. The actual closing/settlement is finalized and becomes official on the date the title is conveyed to the buyer and monies are distributed. That recognized date would appear on the county records as the sale date.

Deborah “Deb” Madey - Broker NJ/FL
Peninsula Realty Group - New Jersey
732 530-7755 Main
732 530-6350 Direct
Atk,

Sellers and buyer can take care of their part of the transaction on different dates but the closing does not occur until all signatures, monies, and documents are completed. Because the buyer or seller has signed their documents does not mean the deal has "closed." It simply means they have taken care of their side of the transaction. The closing is not finalized until both sides have fulfilled their obligation.
Sure, this is very common. In fact, with the REO sales, I would say probably 30% or more of today's transactions have split settlements which often occur on different days - but like Glenda said, it ain't over til the fat lady sings.... everyone has to sign before it is considered complete.
They can sign the papers separately even on different days; however, the sale of the home will not be final until everything has been signed by all parties and the funds have been transferred to the closing agent.
Web Reference: http://www.GlendaCherry.com