Home Buying in Fairfield>Question Details

Michael Bais…, Both Buyer and Seller in Fairfield, CT

can i search property sales from prior years since there are no recent ones in my area of interest?

Asked by Michael Baisley, Fairfield, CT Thu Feb 19, 2009

does 2007, 2006 data exist?

Answers

8
Chris Nanai’s answer
Michael,
Jonathon has provided a viable option below. In the meantime, I have already compiled a database with statistics for Fairfield on a monthly/quarterly/and yearly basis dating back to 2001. If you're interested in the # of units sold, average list/sale price, median list/sale price, and/or average market time I can provide them to you. I also have the % change for each category compared to the same time period of the previous year. Please let me know if I can help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 20, 2009
The Warren Group: http://rers.thewarrengroup.com/wal/start_search.asp is a reliable source of information on all properties sold in New England. Realtor Sold Multiple Listing properties and For Sale By Owners (FSBO) properties. The Warren Group supplies information to real estate professionals, investors, MLS's, newspapers and more. They are a great resource, however, there is a charge.

Real Estate Professionals also can supply property history, too. The cost is a usually the chance to make your acquaintenance in hopes that you will do business with them.

Web Reference: http://RuthmanRE.com
Web Reference: http://RuthmanRE.com
A Realtor with MLS Access can pull this information from the database.
Thanks to all who responded below. The Town of Fairfield was helpful but unfortunately the technology does not exist to make this productive (i.e. pulling specific cards for a given property) however the Town-retained appraisal firm was helpful as their data when back to the period of interest.

The statistics Chris mentions below would also be very helpful. I will try to contact him as well.

Michael
Michael,
If you would like accurate inforamtion about homes that have sold, I would be glad to let you search the MLS for free. Visit fairfieldhomes.listingbook.com Within minutes, you can retrieve data directly from the MLS, about homes that are currently on the market, homes that are pending, and homes that have sold. HAVE FUN!
You certainly CAN. The data may be online, or you may have to physically go to the office that handles deeds. In my area, data go back to the 1960s, in many cases.

However, if you're looking for comps, the question is whether you SHOULD. In many areas, data on sales of property from, say, 2006 would give an entirely misleading picture of the value of a property. There are plenty of areas around me (Northern Virginia) where houses that sold for $500,000 in 2006 are selling for $225,000 today. Condos that sold for $300,000 in 2006 are selling for $90,000 today. And other areas--more to your point--where properties sold for $400,000 in 2006 and there are no recent sales. No way to tell for sure what those properties are worth.

My suggestion would be to contact a Realtor. Don't just ask for sales. Ask for properties that were listed and didn't sell. Maybe they were withdrawn. Or maybe the owner decided to rent the property instead.

In the example above, of a $400,000 property without recent sales comps, I'd look at all activity. Maybe a few houses were listed last year at $300,000 and didn't sell. That tells you the price is somewhere below $300,000. Maybe a house was listed for sale at $320,000 and for rent at $1,700 and ended up being rented. Again, an indication that $320,000 was too high.

That's what I'd do before relying on sales from three years ago.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
All appraised values are based on last 6 months SOLD in area, sq. ft., # of rooms, "like properties".

In some instances may have past 6 months past, many issues are involved.

If you dont have a realtor investigate MLS sold properties, an appraiser is next option

GREAT QUESTION
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Going to the town hall might help or hooking up with a local realtor to pull comparables for you. The data does exisit, but a local Realtor will be your best bet.